Help identifying some mics

Hexenmeister

I was rooting around in my basement today and found some microphones left behind from various band members throughout the year, and I was wondering if you could give me some information on them.

AKG D 1000
Shure 10A.
Shure SM58.

I know the SM58 is a vocal mic, bit what I really want to know if whether any of these mics can be used for recording a drumkit. I am looking to buy some mics for my drums, and if any of these can be of use, then it will save some money in the long run. If so, could you tell me what part of the drumkit they would be best for (Snare, toms, etc)? I really am a complete novice when it comes to recording.

Thanks.

I think you're in luck, the AKG D1000 was a kind of competitor to the SM57 (dynamic instrument mic). The SM57 is a studio standard for micing toms and snare. The SM58 would also work in this application.

Don'tknow anything abnout the Shure 10A, you should try the mic forum.

The C-1000 is a cardiod condensor. The ususal tasks you'd use a small diaphram cardiod condensor on (acoustic guitar, drum overhead, etc..) it doesn't do very well. But as a snare or tom mic, it's pretty damn good. It's not bad on the occassional guitar amp. The SM58 is a decent dynamic mic generaly used as a live voval mic but I've used them for studio vocals on many occassions. It is what it is which is OK.
I've never had my hands on a Shure 10A so no help there.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
I think you're in luck, the AKG D1000 was a kind of competitor to the SM57 (dynamic instrument mic). The SM57 is a studio standard for micing toms and snare. The SM58 would also work in this application.

Don'tknow anything abnout the Shure 10A, you should try the mic forum.

Great, thanks. I was planning to buy some SM57s, so that will save me some money.

I couldn't find anything on the Shure 10A on Google either. It says 'Made in Mexico' on it, so I'm guessing it could be a cheapie.

Back