Help! How to route my mixer so I can monitor effects using my computer

kelitupu

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for your help. This is somewhat long, so your patience is greatly appreciated.

I'm a novice recorder trying to figure out the best way to get in and of my mixer -- specifically, I'd like to be able to monitor effects AND my MIDI synth while recording my vocals (or any other signal, guitar, bass, whatever).

My specs:
Recording on a MAC466 with 796RAM
Soundcard: Delta 44 (4 in, 4 out)

1) Right now, I'm going out of my mixer Alt 3-4 bus into 1-2 of my soundcard.

2) I'm feeding my monitors with the mixer main outs.

3) I'm sending mixer Aux send 1-2 into Delta cards 3-4 Ins.

4) I'm going out of Delta 1-2 into channels 3-4 of mixer (monitor vocals)

5) I'm going out of Delta 3-4 into mixer channels 7-8.

6) I'm going from my MIDI Synth (a JV1010) into Channels 5-6 of mixer.

That's working fine for recording vocals.

Now I want to monitor effects (using my software, Logic Platinum 4.8), and I don't quite understand how to get in and out of my mixer to return the effects signal. I'm aware that I can use my Aux Sends going to an outboard effects processor, but I'd like to be able to monitor live with my software--at least for now.

I can get monitor effects using my software (Logic) when I'm not recording, but because of the way I have it set up (using the Alt 3-4), it interrupts the signal flow going to my MAC, so that's why I can't do both at the same time. Or that's what I think.

Should I go from the Main outs into 1-2 of my Delta, and out of mixer alt 3-4 into 3-4 of my Delta? If I did that, could I feed the monitors using the addition XLR outs behind my mixer? Or am I begging for a feedback loop here somewhere?

I've pasted my mixer specs below.

Thanks again in advance, and sorry if this is an annoying newbie question.

Behringer Mixer 1604A

Channel inputs 12
Mono channels 4
Stereo channels 4
Subgroups 2+2
INVISIBLE MIC PREAMPS 4
EQ (mono channels) 3-band plus low-cut
Aux sends 2
Stereo aux returns 2
2-track input/output 1
Phantom power +48 V
Rack-mounting kit included

Use the inserts on the back of the mixer. Those are direct outs for each channel. Use those as your sends from the mixer to the sound card.

They way you are monitoring is fine. I've never tried to monitor live effects with logic while tracking because it would cause too much latency (I assume). You would probably hear a bit of a delayed signal.

Most people use a cheap effects unit as a monitor reverb for the performer. That way you can use the aux send and with your signal going out through the insert there is no reverb recorded to the track.

If I was to try it in logic I would:
Assign the live channel to a bus in Logic.
Put Effects on that Bus and set the mix to 100% wet.
Do not assign the live track to any output but turn up the bus send.
Assign that Bus to it's own discreet output on the card.
Bring that bus into your mixer on it's own channel.
You would now have a wet effects send from Logic.
You would hear your live vocals through the mixer.

I'm not sure if Logic will allow you to bus the signal while recording. I dont know why it wouldn't but I havent tried it.

I think that will work but I'm a little stoned ;)

I did a search on that board and it doesn't appear to have channel inserts, that's why I didn't respond. The only outs it has appears to be the mains (XLR & 1/4") and Alt 3/4. Stil trying to figure out how they came up with the name 1604. Hmmmmmmmmm. :D

Thanks for the heads up EvilDick.

Forget about the inserts then. You can still use the main outs. Just make sure you dont loop the effects return back into Logic or you'll get a feedback loop.

Back