HELP!!!! H4N interface problems

deltabluesrook

Been at this for a few days

Sry if this has been covered but I real really looked and (I think)cannot find my problem here.

Desktop PC AMD athlon 2 x4 635 processor 2.9ghz
8 gb of ram
64 bit system
windows 7

I have the free audacity and the free reaper, I have had used the audacity plenty of time to mix songs via sd card files. from the H4N. Its a nice little recorder

BUT this week I have tried to hook it up as an interface. in audacity the software does "see" it in the dropdown menu. when I hit record. I get this awful popping scratchy noise, sounds like something is very wrong. AND it runs very very very very slow.

DO I have enough computer? Should I not use the C drive and maybe use a partitioned drive?

I have tried two different usb ports as well. same thing.

should I buy a different interface? Its only one or two recreational musicians recording and overdubbing one track at a time. Nothing complex at all
Is there a better interface for around the same price as my little zoom? I have heard that this H4N is not a good interface. It was not the origional reason I bought it. It would just help if I could use it this way as well.

Thanks guys Im new at this and Im just looking for a little help to get me goin with this. I just dont know if this computer is doable before I start putting a helmut on.

Tom

Last edited:
Audacity doesn't support ASIO drivers, therefore you must be using the MME. You may want to check the Zoom in Windows to make sure the gains are not overly high. I suspect that is the issue.

Back