Help finding new gear to solve an old problem.

Kraken5

Hey guys.

TL;DR - I'm looking to get a louder and better sound out of my ATR2100 to my PC, preferably without the use of software. Currently I've got the ATR2100 connected via XLR to a little Behringer Xenyx Q502 USB Mixer, which is in turn connected to my PC via USB. I've been looking at adding something like a Cloudlifter to boost the volume but would also like to find a hardware compression solution, while keeping a reasonably minimal budget.

Originally I grabbed the ATR2100 as a budget option to start livestreaming because it was a simple dynamic USB mic with the option to go XLR later. The quality has been great and is miles better than a gaming headset (and better than the often recommend Blue Yeti in my opinion.) After a little time and research I eventually picked up a basic mixer in the Behringer Xenyx Q502 that boasted basic EQ and compressor settings and swapped to XLR. The basic EQ works ok but it only allows me to boost my gain by very little before introducing hissing and in order to actually activate the built in compressor at these levels i'd have to throw a punch at the mic. In retrospect the Xenyx Q502 was probably a poor purchase.

Now I'm looking to try and upgrade from 'good enough' to a more professional sounding level, and I think the main issue is how quiet the dynamic ATR2100 is. I've seen many people recommending a Cloudlifter CL-1 (or a FetHead) partnered with the Shure SM7B, a more expensive but similar microphone. So here are my questions:

• If i attached a Cloudlifter between my mic and mixer would it in theory boost the input of the microphone enough to make use of the basic compressor on my Xenyx Q502?
  • Would the 15v of phantom power provided by the Xenyx Q502 be enough to power the Cloudlifter?
  • If not, which interface/mixer out there would you recommend that has the EQ/compressor features in one unit while proving the full 48v of phantom power for a Cloudlifter?
  • Could I use something like the "ART Tube MP/C Tube Pre-Amplifier/Opto-Compressor-Limiter" with my ATR2100 and PC and eliminate the need for a Cloudlifter and my Xenyx Q502?
  • Should I just pick up a 48v phantom power supply and a condenser mic instead?
  • Are there any other alternatives to my issues you could recommend?
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. - Kraken

ya, you went a little slim on both purchases.

I would look for a $100(ish) LDC with a decent output level spec

Then, a mixer with +48.

yA, YOU CAN GAIN STAGE TWO PREAMPS TO KEEP THEM OUT OF THE NOISE. You have the MONO channel and pan left. grab that left from one of the output and run it right into a stereo channel. Only use right for main out

Lexicon Lambda, a dbx 266XS, and a pair of insert cables. This is the best bang for the buck. The art unit really doesn't have a lot of headroom, and you need a basic interface, and I've always recommend preprocessing. Alternatively instead of the 266, you can get a 286 and use the comp section. However, its only one channel and you can pick up a used stereo eq for sidechain around $50.

Well, the dynamic needs voltage the trigger the compressor. He just needs to fully test the chan. 1 gain/trim & volume. and the into a side of a stereo chan..You can get the MIC right on the lips

I cannot find a sensitivity specc' for the XLR output of that mic but I doubt it is worse than an SM57/58? The mic pres in MY X 802 are really pretty good but the 502 is probably further down the whale-***t route! And cheap, 16bit USB mixers are often noisy beasts anyway.

IMHO all you need at the moment is a decent interface. The Alesis i02 Express is very good for under $100 but for a bit more the Steinberg is NOTED for a very clean pre amp with useful gain (my NI KA6 is also very good, can use a 57 on acoustic guitar and the 'room' sets the noise floor, at about -75dBFS) .

A word about 'louder'! With a good AI and a computer you don't need to be. You should have the DAW meters running at -18dBFS (if no dB marks, about 1/2 way up) Only loud peaks should hit -8dBFS or so. You really should not need compression GOING IN. Once in the can, you can save a safety copy then cluck about with the track as you like.

Once you have mic and AI working well then start to think of another mic, maybe NOT a dynamic? Not talked about rooms but I want me tea.

Dave.

FWIW I've got an AT2005USB (same as the ATR2100USB, except the body) and a Behringer Xenyx1204USB. Assuming the Q502 may be similar as far as preamps and the COMP function, I hooked it up and used Reaper as the DAW to record some voice. With the AT2005 I was able to get good levels into Reaper with the mic at about 3" to 4" off my mouth (what kind of distant are you at?). I kept the EQ flat and did not have much hiss to speak of in the recording. Don't know what you're doing with the EQ, but boosting the high did bring in some hiss for me, which I normally wouldn't do.
The COMP function was audibly working/compressing/doing something as I upped the knob, but did not get to point of lighting the LED unless I got a bit louder. Not sure how accurate the LED is for an indication of its compression, unless it's intending to show well over the knee point.
I tried a couple other mics, one dynamic with a neodymium capsule which has a fairly hot output and it was similar to the AT2005 for the gain setting. A handheld condenser I tried was hotter in output than the dynamics as it should be.
I don't usually use this USB mixer to get audio into the computer, but it is usable if I need to use it.

I have a FetHead inline booster I use with an SM7b. It's specs states that it needs 24-48vdc. Would think the Cloudlifter might be the same.

My 1002FX is your regular xenyx, too. When I got the apex 205 ribbon it tested out OK. There is noise - depending. My recent q2442 USB has yet to do USB, as I don't need it. I can Master right into my Oly Voice Recorder ! hahah

If you have the mic plugged in and the gain up, and the mic set to XLR (not sure how that works I don't have that mic). You have the Gain knob on channel one up to unity (12:00 on that board) or a bit past it, and the fader up to unity. the master fader up you should be seeing LED meters lighting up a bit. If not try turning up the gain knob. if you have it all the way up, and still no LED lights on the output, you either have a bad mic, bad cable, or a bad mixer.
That mixer puts out enough to run that mic, that mic isn't a ribbon mic or SM7b. I too prefer an audio interface to that mixer, even something like the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 could work I have one and use it from time to time.
You'll have to check to see if one of your components is not working, or if you have something not turned up/switched the wrong way.

Back