Help Creating Dark Synth Sounds in Logic Pro?

instantdeath999

Hey guys. I'm a long time musician, but totally new music producer. A friend and I have decided we would like to make dream pop music, and as I've always had an interest in the production side of things, that part of the job has fallen to me. So I'm trying to learn all I can.

For the sound I'm going for, big influences would be a newer band called Cigarettes After Sex, as well as classics like The Cure and The Smiths. I'd also like to incorporate a bit of shoegaze influence, the kind you hear from bands like Slowdive, M83, My Bloody Valentine, etc. Right now, I'm looking for a good, atmospheric synthesizer sound, yet Logic throws so much at you that it's difficult for me to narrow down what I need to be using.

It doesn't let me post Youtube links, so instead I'm just going to write the name of the band and song.

Cigarettes After Sex: Each Time You Fall in Love

I'm a big fan of that opening synth. It's simple, yet haunting. I can't seem to get anything with the same kind of elegance in Logic. I've been mainly messing with the Pad options, and I tend to end up with sounds that are too much on the big, atmospheric side, less on the melodic.

Another example of the kind of synth I'd love to make would be the stuff The Cure were doing on Disintegration. I know they were using a cheap Roland for that record, so I've been messing around with the Retro Synth plugin.

The Cure: Closedown

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Sounds like choirs with reverbs and fades, might be a sample or a voice their recorded instead of the choir soundfont.

Back