HELP constant white noise from mic

AxelFlurry

Hi, I'm new around here.

I've been using a Neewer NW-700 Condenser Microphone and a Neewer 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply directly connected into my PCs Rear microphone input for the past year. Recently I've gotten into streaming to twitch and recording to youtube and never realized until now how bad my microphone sounds. What i mean by bad is I either have to choose between sounding decent with a ton of white noise, or sounding terrible with no white noise when recording. Another issue is every mic I've had in the past has been so quiet unless I boost to around +20db, which introduces a lot more white noise. Without boosting however, my microphone is too quiet and noone can hear me. So I started doing some research on how to be rid of the white noise. I'm very confused on what I should buy, whether it be a mixer, a preamp, an external audio interface, etc. The only thing i've looked at so far is a BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UM2 audio interface.

One last thing to note, I have a dog that barks almost constantly so if there's any way to make it so he can't be heard in recordings and on my stream that doesn't sacrifice microphone quality, I'd love to hear about it. On obs currently he really isn't triggering the noise gate but I'm not sure if I get a new setup if he will be more audible.

Any kind of insight into my issue and how to solve it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about the noise. Never heard of the brand or their quality. A dynamic mic will be better at not picking up background noises you don't want in your recordings.

External audio interface with good gain and a decent mic is likely your best bet. And maybe a muzzle for the dog? Though that would just be mean...

Do you think the external audio interface would more or less eliminate the hissing?

Yes.

I have a couple of Neewer 700's. To use as a housing for DIY mics :D

But they're not bad at all, especially at their price point. So I haven't gutted them yet. The only problem wit these is that they tend to differ a lot from one batch to another. A friend has sent one back because it had a lot of hiss and it distorted the sound a bit. You can't expect real quality control at these price levels.

I think your problem stems from the mic input on the computer. Either there is pip power for external mics on it, or it is at line level. Can be fixed, but for around 30-40$ you can find an interface that would be way better, has two channels and provides phantom power. Something from Behringer, fi.

My first reply apparantly got deleted so,

I bought a usb sound card. A BENGOO External Audio Adapter specifically (unable to post links)

Will it work for my issue temporarily until I spend a bit more to buy an external interface? or should I cancel my order and just buy a 30-40$ interface now?

My first reply apparantly got deleted so,

I bought a usb sound card. A BENGOO External Audio Adapter specifically (unable to post links)

Will it work for my issue temporarily until I spend a bit more to buy an external interface? or should I cancel my order and just buy a 30-40$ interface now?

Cancel and get this..... Amazon.com: BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UM2 48kHz 2-channel USB Audio Interface with XENYX Mic Preamplifier: Electronics

This interface provides 48v phantom so you can eliminate the Neewer 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply and just use the mic connected to the interface. It's cheap and not many features, but should do what you want. Hopefully the BM-700 isn't the source of the noise.
If you need help setting it up come back.

As we keep saying - just get a proper interface - the. Behringer's dirt cheap, and single channel, the Scarlet talked about in another current topic is twin channel, if you ever need two mics.

As for the dog, there are two things to keep in mind. Signal to noise. If you move in closer to the mic, and turn the gain down, the dog gets quieter , and the voice doesn't, but if you go too close, it suddenly starts to get bassier. The other thing is orientation. The cardioid mics have a null at the rear where they are least sensitive. Make sure this points towards the dog. The two things together will help no end. Noise gates are crude things. When they close, it's very obvious. For speech, the constant opening and closing sounds dreadful, so they are for emergencies only.

I've got a Neewer NW-800 that is borderline garbage. But it's not super noisy. it's definitely got some noise to it, but not so much that it'd make it unusable (it's frequency response is what makes it unusable).

Get the UMC22, ditch the external power supply, get an XLR-XLR cable, and you're set.

As we keep saying - just get a proper interface - the. Behringer's dirt cheap, and single channel, the Scarlet talked about in another current topic is twin channel, if you ever need two mics.

As for the dog, there are two things to keep in mind. Signal to noise. If you move in closer to the mic, and turn the gain down, the dog gets quieter , and the voice doesn't, but if you go too close, it suddenly starts to get bassier. The other thing is orientation. The cardioid mics have a null at the rear where they are least sensitive. Make sure this points towards the dog. The two things together will help no end. Noise gates are crude things. When they close, it's very obvious. For speech, the constant opening and closing sounds dreadful, so they are for emergencies only.

It's not really possible for me to angle the mic towards the dog since the sound travels in through the door behind me, unless I change my room around, which could be a possibllity if need be.

I stopped by my local music store and they just happened to have the U-phoria UM2 used in stock so I bought it, Cancelling the other order now.

Thanks for all the replies

To be honest, the sound probably comes through multiple access points in your room, unless it's properly isolated, so proximity will be your best bet. The U-phoria will work much better.

It's not really possible for me to angle the mic towards the dog since the sound travels in through the door behind me, unless I change my room around, which could be a possibllity if need be.

I stopped by my local music store and they just happened to have the U-phoria UM2 used in stock so I bought it, Cancelling the other order now.

Thanks for all the replies

Worth a try! Good call man. Seriously though , I totally recommend a dynamic mic for your situation. Even a SM 58 with a pop screen may be the best low budget option with the addition of the Behri interface. Try the mic you have, but you are gong to have way more room and ambient sounds/noise with a condenser mic. It just how they are...

AxelFurry....... how close to the mic have you been speaking and if doing videos where you may want the mic out of sight, is the mic positioned a bit away from you?

Back