Help with 1st studio

Waxenbiscuit

Hey everyone,sorry for the book I'm about to post. Decided to build my own home studio, Do I have everything i need for basic recordings?

iMac (basic new Mac with upgraded ram)
3.4 ghz, i5 processor
16gb ram
1 tb

Daw - pro tools
I don't play drums, and I have heard pro tools is difficult to sample drums in. I was considering getting Logic Pro for drums and the digital instruments I had. I talked to someone at a store and they recommended getting EZ drummer 2 instead and use that within pro tools. Would this be the best way to go? I own actual guitars/bass/keys already.

I have beats I'd use as headphones.

Monitors - jbl LSR305

Interface - already own a presonus audio box
Keyboard controller - already own an akai
For mic I was just going to use my sm58 until I decide to upgrade.

Is that everything I need? Mostly concerned about how to make the drums for my songs in protools.

Thank you!

Hi there,
There's nothing particularly difficult about arranging drum loops and notation in Protools, but it is one of the more expensive DAWs out there.
If you like it, all your pals use it, or you have experience with it then fair enough, but if you have no tie to it I'd consider looking around a bit more.
Try Reaper for free, maybe, before you commit to anything?

As for drum software, there are plenty of ways to go. I've used Addictive in the past and SSD 4 more recently.
I've been trying out drumcore 4 recently, too, and am really liking it.

It seems really good for just getting going without too much fussing. The kits sound nice out of the box and it's all pretty user friendly.

All of those will have built-in loop libraries so you can drag+drop something that's close to what you want, then manipulate from there.
You don't have to - It's just an option.

Welcome to HR! :)

I am leaning pro tools for all the reasons you listed haha. It's what I'm most familiar with watching other engineers use it, and also my friends use it. But I will look into reaper and others as well.

And I will also check out the other drum programs you mentioned! I'm definitely looking for user friendly, all this stuff is confusing :confused:

Thank you for the help! I've got some reading to do.

No problem at all.
I use Protools, and have done since V6, for those reasons too.

I just don't like to recommend it on a whim, since there are cheaper alternatives out there.

If you've any more questions, just shout. :)

Back