Hello

Kyps

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and also Music Production as a whole. I am really happy to have found this forum. I have always been into music and Djing but have just purchased a mac and and am now looking at all the different DAW's and trying to get an idea as to which one will be best for me and will be user friendly enough for me to get my head around. I am interested in Hip Hop/Rap and various types of dance music. Any help or tips you may have for me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Hi Kyps and welcome (I am about 70 up the frog from you) .

I know nothing of macs but would suggest you consider your hardware situation before worrying about a DAW? You need an Audio Interface as a start then you need some means to listen to that at the best level of quality you can afford. For now some headphones in the £50-£100 region will serve but depending on your aspirations, you will really need some decent monitor speakers and room treatment.

AIs are legion but make sure they are mac 'friendly', most are these days. PLEASE do not go for the most basic one around! You may not see the need for two mic inputs and MIDI now, but you will, especially the 2nd mic channel.

DAWs: many are free or nearly so and therefore you can download and play with several until something 'clicks'. They all do much the same things and they all do it very well so it is just personal taste that governs your choice. DAWs can be split into two main types.

Linear, like a tape recorder and a mixer and so if you have had any tape experience that might suit. Reaper, Cubase, Samplitude are examples.
The other style is what I like to call "cut and shunt" These allow 'chunks' of audio to be dropped in and "mashed" together. Ableton and Fruity Loops are of this stamp.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response and your advice much appreciated.
I am currently looking at the Focusrite interface and have been playing around with abletone Live demo for the last couple of days, however I have just ordered Logic Pro X as learning how to make beats before I get to the audio side of things is really what I am wanting to do its just when looking at the layout of the different DAW's they can be quiet intimidating almost like another language so Im hoping with the logic pro and a couple of youtube tutorial videos i will be on my way to learning the basics of how to put some beats together.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response and your advice much appreciated.
I am currently looking at the Focusrite interface and have been playing around with abletone Live demo for the last couple of days, however I have just ordered Logic Pro X as learning how to make beats before I get to the audio side of things is really what I am wanting to do its just when looking at the layout of the different DAW's they can be quiet intimidating almost like another language so Im hoping with the logic pro and a couple of youtube tutorial videos i will be on my way to learning the basics of how to put some beats together.

Ok, so you will be working from the mac's soundcard. Not sure how good that will be but I am sure someone here will tell us!

BTW "we" can help with the jargon.

Dave.

New wary of youtube videos - they often have real problems with level - too fast and complex and fly over your head, or so slow and entry level they bore you to death. Pretty much my way of doing things is try on my own, then if I get stuck, I google, skim through the youtube or Vimeo video, find the clue - usually where a menu is, and what it's called - then back to my fiddling again. If you have some MIDI instruments available, then do a temp merge - speed up or slow down the first few bars only of the new version so it matches properly, then ease back into the source tempo - and if the join sounds artificial, lay down a few drum hits to cover the gap, or a swoosh pad, or something to disguise the short lack of quality. Another trick, is to cut off the sounds above say 300Hz from one and below 300Hz on the other so the change between them can be staggered. Loads of tricks to get into the bag early on.

Thanks fellas im going to dedicate as much time to it as possible and try and get my head around it on my own and will search if I get stuck as you suggested.

Ok, so you will be working from the mac's soundcard. Not sure how good that will be but I am sure someone here will tell us!

BTW "we" can help with the jargon.

Dave.

Yes Dave for now I shall not be upgrading the soundcard as im just tring to learn how it all works

Yes Dave for now I shall not be upgrading the soundcard as im just tring to learn how it all works

Ok, but I can tell you now, the learning curve to getting to grips with a basic AI such as the F'rite 2i4 or Steinberg UR22 is NOTHING compared to the brain numbing you get learning a DAW!

Dave.

Back