Headphones only playing through one side

Hannan28

Hey guys so Ive been doing some recordings at home with my band using an electric drum set (Alesis DM 10) thru midi, two tube amps with the cab mic’d Up and a bass amp all recorded into a focusrite 18i8 and what I’ve been trying to do is have it so that the whole band can wear headphones and direct monitor the recordings with zero latency. Now I bought a very cheap headphone amplifier (Behringer micro amp HA400) and the sound goes through all the headsets but will only come through one ear piece and it is only when using the headphone amp . I just purchased a more expensive headphone amp a Behringer Powerplay XL HA4700 used (hasn’t shipped yet) for a reasonable price . I wanted to know will this fix my issue or is there another cause and another way to fix this.

What output feeds the headphone amp? (assume from the Focusrite?
Stereo (TRS?) patch cable?
How about the phones out on the Focusrite? Stereo there?

So I’ve just been using an ...instrument cable.. from the phones out put to the the little headphone amp...and I think I’m realizing while typing why it didn’t work

---------- Update ----------

The headphones are just using the cables attached to them AKG k240 headphones

So I’ve just been using an ...instrument cable.. from the phones out put to the the little headphone amp...and I think I’m realizing while typing why it didn’t work

---------- Update ----------

The headphones are just using the cables attached to them AKG k240 headphones

Define "instrument cable. If it's like a guitar lead, then it's a mono lead.

Just goes to show how much to not know, there is out there.

'Our work (for the moment' :>) is done here. :>)

The HA400 has stereo on TRS for input, so if you're going from the headphone out (also stereo on TRS), you need a TRS>TRS cable.

The HA4700 main inputs are balanced "dual mono", which is stereo on 2 x TRS. You don't have balanced from the headphone out, so you'd have to settle for unbalanced via a TRS>dual TS "insert" cable. But are the line outputs from the interface plugged to anything? You could do balanced via two TRS>TRS cables that way. The difference will be somewhere between not and very noticeable depending on about everything else in the system.

Back