HD 600's sound amazing, but are low output, even with my interface's headphone amp

antispatula

Even with my headphone amp turned to the max on my scarlet 2i2, the HD 600s are still too low.
What is the best option, just getting a cheap 50 dollar headphone amp?

Does cost really matter with headphone amps? Is a 300 headphone amp really going to make much of a difference during mixing and monitorting vs one of those 4 channel 50 dollar ones?

You need to look at the headphone sensitivity spec if you're having trouble driving them, or compare headphone amplifier outputs, or both.

I have a pair of HD 518s (not currently produced) and they work fine with my Saffire Pro 26, in fact, I drive a pair of 250Ω DT-770s with it just fine, though the level is more like 2-3:00 for those vs 9-10:00 for the 518s.

It's funny but the 600 specs are not to be found on the Sennheiser site, but they show up in Google as 102SPL while my 518s are 108, so a pretty big difference, but those 770s are something like 96, so not sure why you can't get to a listenable level, especially with even a basic headphone amp.

Even with my headphone amp turned to the max on my scarlet 2i2, the HD 600s are still too low.
What is the best option, just getting a cheap 50 dollar headphone amp?

Does cost really matter with headphone amps? Is a 300 headphone amp really going to make much of a difference during mixing and monitorting vs one of those 4 channel 50 dollar ones?

Yes.....the HD600's are an EXCELLENT set of cans for sure. I use a Zoom R16 as an AI and that too requires almost full HP output to sound loud enough on the HD600's........and the sounds lacks. When I listen to them in the HP jack of my Denon receiver........(better internal HP amp).......wow......the HD 600's are awesome. I've tried lots of cans......I own at least 6 pairs of $$$ cans) but these are the best in my opinion.

That said......you're probably missing out by not using a decent HP amp. If you're going to buy one.......stick to some of the better names........and you don't have to spend lots of $$$ on one.

thanks. any suggestions for good, low cost HP amps?

Low(ish) cost won't cut it. Yes the cans are quoted for a slightly above average sensitivity of 102dB SPL for 1V but, they are 300 Ohm headphones and all AIs are voltage limited. So you need something capable of driving higher Z phones and the Aphex 454 looks the biz bit it is £170! My suggestion for a cheaper solution would be a second hand hi fi amp of about 30W pch. The fitted HP jack will probably still not be super loud but you can mod the speaker outputs.

As for "Audiophile" headphone amps? I was surprised to read a couple of weeks ago that the DACs Clarity 3 uses EXACTLY the same amp chips as my £20 Behringer HA400 (which I find quite loud enough with my AKG K92s but they are 113dBV and 32R!) Price of the DACs? Half a bag of sand!

Dave.

... all AIs are voltage limited. ....
I suspect that bus powered ones like the 2i2 may be a lot more voltage limited than ones with a wall-wart. At least, the two I've had now, and both with dual jacks, have had enough juice for me.

I suspect that bus powered ones like the 2i2 may be a lot more voltage limited than ones with a wall-wart. At least, the two I've had now, and both with dual jacks, have had enough juice for me.

Probably true but since the 2i2 is penny pinched on facilities, only 2 in 2 out and some pretty lights, they COULD have spared a good bit of juice for a decent H/P drive but they didn't.

My 8i6 has a 12V 2a supply that must be connected but I have not compared headphone levels with my KA6 (which IS a bit of a wimp but then has a lot of bells and whistles) If I get a mo' tomorrow I will give it a do.

Dave.

I use the Objective 2 by JDS labs, for my HD 650’s. Works great...

Yes, that looks very good. Will deliver 7 volts into 150 Ohms and up giving the OP's cans some 120dB SPL!
What the OB2 specc' does not tell me is the 'gain' i.e. how much it amplifies the input voltage. This can be important as it is often the low VOLTAGE delivered from AIs when listening to neg 18 tracks that needs boosting.

My apologies to JDS labs! They DO give a gain specc. 8dB or 16dB and custom. Nice box, should be <£100 here, bet it ain't!
Dave.

Yes, that looks very good. Will deliver 7 volts into 150 Ohms and up giving the OP's cans some 120dB SPL!
Nice box, should be <£100 here, bet it ain't!
JDS list international shipping on their site and you can even get a kit. You’d be on your own with the import duties but seems like an option in case it’s not available locally.

Some depends on the output of your interface. My tascam has a lot. Its only a quarter up going into my Presonus HP4 and its loud. I hardly have to turn it up.

yeah man...I compared some on the amps and the volume is very noticeable from 32 ohm to 250....600 probably very different too.

the amps should mention if its compatible with 600 or 250...if not its probably intended for low ohm/standard headphones.

Back