Thread: Having an Objective View of Your Abilities

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    No need just buy the microphone!!!
    Come on everybody's doing it.
    It just a little microphone.
    Peer pressure / Peer pressure Peer pressure / Peer pressure

Well look at it this way you could have worst vices.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to moresound For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
    I have been having simillar thoughts recently and have cut my self off from buying any new gear/software and concentrate on 1) practicing/playing and singing more to get the material right first, 2) getting the best out of what I have by using it to it's best effect by learning it inside and out and 3) realising I have to get better (not the gear) if my songs are to get better
    I think this is a wonderful approach. I find myself in the same place... just adding toys to the setup without a true understanding of what I already have. I know I could benefit from giving a better performance on the input side and not worrying so much about all the different pieces of gear.
    We are the Music Makers...
    and We are the Dreamers of Dreams...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercreep View Post

Cut out the BS and it's really about capturing a performance without letting gear and process (and ego, as Gecko rightly noted) getting in the way.
    ultimately this is the whole thing right there.
    If you can't play/sing then the best possible recording will be a nice realistic sounding of poor chops.
    If you know the secret codes you can get by the mastering boss on level 8.

Thanks
    good thing i haven't posted anything in the clinic that is new.

supperfap would have a heart attack...

I use autotune on my wah peddle bitches....

Yea,

Im that guy...
    "turn up the good turn down the suck"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post

I like this thread. I have been having simillar thoughts recently and have cut my self off from buying any new gear/software and concentrate on 1) practicing/playing and singing more to get the material right first, 2) getting the best out of what I have by using it to it's best effect by learning it inside and out and 3) realising I have to get better (not the gear) if my songs are to get better
    I went down the rabbit hole of gear lust for 5 years, working all the way up to API and Great River preamps, a decent mic locker and tons of hardware and plugins.....none of which helped me sing better, play guitar any better or write a better song. I realized that, at least for me, the gear was a distraction and bogged me down with too many choices. Sold it all except for a Fast Track Mk II, Pro Tools Essential, an SM 57, some drum loops, my acoustic and my Pbass. There is nothing to spend time deciding now and nothing to take my focus off of what I am primarily, which is a songwriter. Wish I were a REAL singer and a GREAT guitarist, but I am focusing on writing the best songs I can and hiring musicians way better than me to make the arrangement and a real engineer in Nashville to mix the sessions. Sure could have saved a lot of money if I had known then what I know now.

bilco

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    you have to have a realistic image of yourself, and know what you can and can't do.
    Very true. Many times people try arranging and writing songs, or parts for their instrument like their heroes might write or arrange it, which would be nice if those people were going to perform that song, but that's not the way it is. We have to start taking longer, harder looks in the mirror and not be afraid to admit our own weaknesses and start using our strengths as the foundations off of which we can build.
    TeWFuS
    ---------------------------------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    One of the confounding factors is that it is your brain and imagination that tells you what you are hearing, not your ears . . . something sounds good because you want it to, not because it is.

Another confounding factor is your ego: it's got to be this way because that's how I want it to be, and I refuse to accept that an alternative may be better.
    This, I guess, will always be the artistic {sorry Greg ! } dilema. If something sounds good to you and no one else and therefore you want to do it that way, is it not a compromise to do it the way others may want it done, simply because that is how they like it ? The worst kind of compromise ? Though there are tons of songs we all love in the versions that came to us, there are also tons of artists that hate their work and wish they'd gone their way instead !

On the other hand to simply ignore where the rest of the human race may be at in relation to one's 'product' is no solution either. Many artists have suffered coz of this down the centuries.
    Keeping the tension and balance is crucial yet difficult. For the home recordist, I guess there are at least two camps, those for whom this is a hobby and those who actually want to compete in the wider world. But the OP has applications to both parties.

Interesting piece, plenty of soul food.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    Secondly, if you are going to self-produce, you have to have a realistic image of yourself, and know what you can and can't do.
    I'd say yes and no to this. I'm broadly in agreement but let's face it, technology does {and always has, since the advent of multitracking} make possible things that one may not be able to do without it. For example, you may not be able to play the organ like Jon Lord or Jimmy Smith or Khalid Yasin. In fact, you may not be able to play it at all. But by taking things slowly and recording bit by bit you could come up with a piece of organ that ricks, racks and rocks !
    I suspect, however, that this isn't what Richie is talking about. Without a doubt though, the ability to play and put together coherent pieces is paramount and gear isn't really what makes this possible.
    It flaming well helps though ! Especially if you're a one person outfit for much of the time.

Thanks
    I don't understand..

Thanks
    What don't you understand ?

Thread Information