Hardware compressor into audio interface?

SkyKing

Specifically the Universal Audio 4-710d. ( Universal Audio 4-710d | Sweetwater.com )
The audio interface I'm using is a Focusrite Scarlette 6i6 for now. An upgrade with more I/O is in the works.
I'm trying to understand exactly what I would be getting here...

If I run a sound source, (vocals, moog etc..) thru the 4-710d and into the focusrite, will the "subpar" preamps on the focusrite take away from the quality gained by the 4-710d? Anything to consider with running a hardware compressed source into a pre-amp on the focusrite?

Am I able to run audio out of a DAW, thru the 4-710d and back into a DAW to color/boost it?

Any thoughts regarding this equipment or way of running audio would be appreciated!

Hi,
The 6i6 has two line inputs on the back so you'd use those and totally bypass the interface preamps.

You'd run mic into 4-710, then take the corresponding line output into a rear line-input on the interface.
If you want to add other hardware processes, put them between the 4/710 and the interface, and use line level all the way, or use the channel's effects loop on the 710.

You'll need XLR-F to XLR-M for the mic, and XLR-F to TRS for the line output to interface input.

DO NOT use an XLR to XLR cable between your 710 and the interface front inputs.
It's a signal level mismatch, but any phantom power on the interface input will do serious damage to your 710.

Hope that's helpful.

Would one of the preamp channels without Phantom power switched on be the same as line? That's how I've been recording the Moog, the played back volume is always louder than when I'm tracking the Moog. I just turn the Moog track down in my DAW. Would switching to a line input fix that?

Would one of the preamp channels without Phantom power switched on be the same as line?

No.
Phantom power doesn't amplify or alter any signals. Certain microphones just require it in order to function.
It will, however, damage equipment that isn't designed to see, or ignore, it.

Dynamic microphones will 'ignore' phantom power, but the line output of a rack effects unit or rack preamp will just get burned, or burn out the power supply.

Would switching to a line input fix that?

Yes.

Any signal presented to your interface via XLR connector is subjected to phantom power (if on) and a microphone preamplifier.
That is, the XLR input is designed for, and expects, the level of signal that a microphone would put out.

The scope of line level goes far hotter than that, as you found out with your Moog.
There are other reasons why it's not a good match, even if you do use gain staging to get an acceptable level, like you've been doing.

If you use a TS or TRS cable into the front of your interface, that would have been line level to line level, but most likely still going through the preamp circuitry.
That's usually how the front inputs work - They offer a line level in by padding down your signal before the preamp amplifies it again.
Not the end of the world but necessary gain stages which may or may not detract from the signal quality.

The option of TRS and XLR on the front isn't a matter of convenience...It's two different circuit paths designed for two different things.

A line level input on the back should be straight to the converters with no messing about.
For keyboards, synths, rack units, anything with line output, those rear inputs are what you want. :)

Hey SkyKing... just to clarify something, the Universal Audio 4-710d is a 'preamp' (a very nice one to add) and not a 'compressor' which has a different purpose. If you're sending your Moog into it you'll likely want to use the Line inputs which you may need an adapter cable of sorts to do that (Moog probably doesn't have XLR outs(?) ). Not sure how Line inputs 5-8 are passed through the unit without a peek at the manual.
I kinda skimmed this post quickly, so I may have missed something.

Hey SkyKing... just to clarify something, the Universal Audio 4-710d is a 'preamp' (a very nice one to add) and not a 'compressor' which has a different purpose. If you're sending your Moog into it you'll likely want to use the Line inputs which you may need an adapter cable of sorts to do that (Moog probably doesn't have XLR outs(?) ). Not sure how Line inputs 5-8 are passed through the unit without a peek at the manual.
I kinda skimmed this post quickly, so I may have missed something.

^^ Yes...Sorry, I missed that.
Whether you want to run the moog straight into your interface or through the 710 first, you'd go into a line level input either way.
On paper there's no reason to do that since you'd be going line-in/line-out/line-in, but in reality that 710 unit may impart some quality that you like.

Also, you'd have to flick the switch on the 710 front panel from mic to line, for whatever channel you're using.

There are no controls for channels 5-8 but the unit has ADAT output, so presumably those just go straight to the converters and out, allowing you to use more synths/processors/instruments with your ADAT capable audio interface.

Yeah, it's pretty simple when you think about it. The UA is a preamp (or, well, 4 preamps) whose job is to take mic or instrument level signals and turn them into line level signals. So anything that it outputs would need to be plugged into a line level input on your interface. Same for your Moog, it almost certainly outputs a line level signal, so you'd plug that into a line input on your interface (or two, if you want a stereo signal...1 for L, 1 for R).

Universal Audio 4710d | Sound On Sound

Yes, that pre/comp/converter looks tasty indeed. OP, you mentioned an AI upgrade? Do ensure the new jobby has ADAT ports because that would take the AI completely out of the A/D conversion equation.

The new Tascam USB 3.0 20-20 interface looks very good and great value (not for macs yet tho') but you will have to buy the current SoS edition to read the review.

Dave.

Back