Guitar Rig 5: Getting a good lead solo tone (or any other amp sim)

+12 seems a bit extreme.

Yeah, dropped that a bit - 9.6 at the moment and moved left to 1211.0Hz. Still lots of tweaking/experimenting to be done but slowly getting there. No doubt it will all fall apart when I stick something in a mix and jam along to one of my tracks. :)

Ah' done know coz ah' done play but 'raw' guitar sound IS pretty fizzy. You could look for some "Emulation" software or (cough!) a pedal or amp?

Dave.

A couple tricks I learned on my own and from searching, maybe can help you: 1) I just cannot reply on the plugin in alone. I also drop an EQ with a preamp feature on to the track. Some people use some type of compression plugin, but I use one of a couple from Tracks5. I forget the names now, but it doesn't matter. I find something with a gain control is best for me. 2) I often double track the guitar track. I usually pan one channel to about ten o'clock and then the other one at about 3 o'clock. And vise versa. I usually lower the volume on one of the cracks a bit so the sound leans in the direction I want it to go. 3) I drop a low pass filter on as well (Tracks Classic EQ works for me) to control the high end gain distortion. 4) Then it is matter of finding the sound and tone you personally want from the amp sim. That Satriani type sound I guess is from lots of gain.

That may not help 100% but I find that a couple of those items have helped me get a bigger sound that, to me, does not even sound much like an amp sim. Good luck.

A professional sent me some of his recordings recently and his guitar tones were awesome. I asked him how he got his sounds and he mentioned he uses revalver4. Typical signal flow is an sm7, 57 and a ribbon always checking phase
He blends a clean track of the same part into the high gain
The Friedman is his goto amp and also uses the new Paul Reed Smith collection from waves.

Something else he mentioned was duplicating tracks and blending multiple tones. sounds very time consuming however his guitar tone was God like!! Sounded amazing. Fat clean and punchy as hell.

Well.. I did manage to pull it off with Guitar Rig 5 in the end.. but.. Hehe. I bought myself a Line 6 POD X3 Pro and I have the same problem - unless I'm banging hi-gain metal riffs, lead solos sound tinny and awful. So, taking the audio interface, and Guitar Rig 5 out of the equation, same problem but with different FX processing. This leads me to think its either my guitar, headphones or combination of both. Will have to go try me some more headphones and a different guitar..

Honestly it sounds like you might have a polarity and/or phase issue somewhere. Although yeah either your guitar or headphones may be causing issues.

Back