Greetings and immediate help seeking :)

soothsayerpf

Hi guys,

I’m just new here and new to home recording.

Also, actually pretty excited about recording.

Anyway, this forum seems to be the place to be in terms getting knowledge in everything recording.

Also, premission to ask for question/help (Saw description that newbies can ask question in this section).

I have a Mackie profx16v2 and Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.

Now, the plan is to record a band in real time while playing live. So what I assumed is: the Mackie for live and focusrite for recording.

I wanna record the band as it happens but each has it’s own channel. In other words, Multitrack live recording.

The problem is how to mix the mixer and audio interface to get a real time multitrack recording.

I hope my explanation doesn’t look like I’m all over the place.

Looking forward and thanks in advance for the help guys :)

Last edited:
Hey...

Unless you need to use some of the features from the Mackie...or you plan on having more mics than the Scralett can accommodate...you should just plug the mics into the Scarlett and bypass the Mackie.
If no features of the Mackie are really needed for the recording...all it will add to your signal is more noise if you go through it and then to the Scarlett.

If you are going to have everyone wearing headphones...the Mackie could be used for the phone cue mixes...just get mic splitters and send their signals to both the Scarlett and the Mackie.

Re:

Hey...

Unless you need to use some of the features from the Mackie...or you plan on having more mics than the Scralett can accommodate...you should just plug the mics into the Scarlett and bypass the Mackie.
If no features of the Mackie are really needed for the recording...all it will add to your signal is more noise if you go through it and then to the Scarlett.

If you are going to have everyone wearing headphones...the Mackie could be used for the phone cue mixes...just get mic splitters and send their signals to both the Scarlett and the Mackie.

First off...Thanks for the response. :)

What I was thinking is being able to have each part of that band on different channel (live). So I can mix the live sound. There’s also an effects from the mackie that I can use for the singers.

Is it not possible, the mackie as the main then the scarlett is just only for recording on multitrack but both are connected for their own purpose to work as one on the two things I needed them for?

You can use them both...though not sure if the Mackie has the routing to let you send the same channel signals out to the interface, all of them, individually...?

Point is...mixing the live sound for the room...and mixing the record tracks...are two different things.
Once you commit to mixing the live at the Mackie, and recording that...well, you may then have to undo some of that later.

Ideally...you record the tracks for mixing later...not really on the fly, live...but yeah, you can do that if that's how you want to go...if you can split/feed the channels to both.

That’s the exact word “On the fly”! To be able to record and tweak the live band and record them at the same time.

I guess I have to sacrifice not utilizing the mixer for the sake of recording. I was just thinking that surely this is possible for an artist’s sound/mixing team recording live.

Thanks for the response guys, those are very helpful inputs :)

Many recordings have been done of live bands....but when you are in studio type setting, there's no real reason to mix the live sound, and then record that...unless of course, that's what feels comfortable to you, and you can get the recording as you like.

Lots of questions, but first, is this for just one band, with a static setup, or are you trying to outfit for a general case?

#1 The easiest way to do this these days, honestly, is to have the band use one of the multitrack digitial mixers with the built-in capability to send a multitrack digitial signal to a computer, i.e., at the same time it's being used for a live mix. If this is a situation you expect to be involved in for a while, i.e., it's your band, then you might think about trading everything in on something like that.

If that's not an option, and the Mackie is going to be used to mix the entire band, i.e., vocals and all instruments including drums, then you'd need the ability to record as many tracks as inputs you utilize on the Mackie. If you're not mic'ing/DI-ing anything in the band, e.g., bass, you'd need to add that to the number of live-mixed channels for recording. What is the total number, and what, if anything, is not currently amplified? Once you have that, I might be able to suggest a way to do it, but it's going to still require more equipment. Otherwise, see #1.

I think his Mackie and Scarlett interface have about the same number of inputs...so as long as he's not exceeding that, he can go either way.
I just thought for quality of signal...going right to the Scarlett would be the best way, and then just use the Mackie to create a cue mix for them, via headphones.

I mean...to me, the only real reason to tap off of a live mixer...would be at a venue, where you need to mix for the PA system, plus send channels to a recording device...and even in those cases, most people would just take a direct out off the mixer...rather than the actual live mix signal and levels.

In the end...it's going to come down to the comfort zone...which is always important. If you're not comfortable with the setup and the situation, odds are things won't come out good anyway. So a little "roughness" is OK if everyone is comfortable and happy during the recording.

I think his Mackie and Scarlett interface have about the same number of inputs...so as long as he's not exceeding that, he can go either way.
Yeah, I can't/don't read. I was thinking 18i8...

If 8 channels is all you need, I'd get an 8x splitter ($100 for a Behri) and short and long 8x snakes - all less than about $200. Run everything to the splitter you've been sending to the Mackie, short snake goes from the splitter's direct out to the Mackie, long snake goes from the isolated out to the Focusrite, which goes to the PC. Done. (Practice this at home first!)

I probably wouldn't use either to feed the other.

Some bands DO use the stereo out from their live mixer out to their recording device - if they want to provide 'instant' live recordings to the audience after the show. Carbon Leaf does this, selling the $20 USB sticks, available 15-20 minutes after the show ends.

You're better off just using the 18i20 (2nd generation). I also used the old trusty Behringer ADA 8000 for the 8 extra ins and direct outs. I tried doing what you're attempting, and wound up ditching the mixer (a Behringer SX 3242), only using small Berhinger mixers for the phones mixes (An 802, a 1202, and a 502--all used, all very cheap). There were only 3 of us, but we used all the inputs (7 for drums, 2 vocal mics, 3 spares for guests, 2 acoustic guitar mics, 2 electrics DI'd after processors). I recorded the live sessions directly into Samplitude Pro X2, and used the very handy and versatile Focusrite Control for no-latency custom mixes for each player. I think you can have five separate (stereo) mixes running, but you will need to send out these mixes to the individual baby mixers cited above. I was shocked at how good the raw unmixed recordings sounded. It was a trying thing to get the individual mixes right at first, but once we got it, all was good. You will have a little more of a challenge if you're miking amps--with direct in, I was/am able to edit the electrics with ease, removing them, dropping in edits, etc., and mixing the whole thing is a lot easier. Also, we recorded no bass guitar either.
I was in the camp of doing lots of overdubs to clicks, but the arrangement cited above changed my outlook, to say the least. After hearing the first few sessions, I immediately understood why so many recordists prefer to record a band largely live. We got dozens of live recordings that were keepers. Take the challenge--it's worth it.

Last edited:
An addendum: I did initially take the direct outs form the ADA 8000 and the 18i20 and send them to the Behringer FX3242, using the Aux sends for separate mixes . . . but it was nothing but trouble. Too many knobs to twiddle, and tons of extra cabling.

Back