Good home speakers for Macbook?

Daniel Bhaumik

Hey all, first post here:

Been recording with MacBook 2012 for friends' movies and little musical projects, use Logic Pro X.

Have used headphones when recording and playing back.

Looking for speaker recommendations to give an accurate representation of sound coming from my mix. Less than $100 budget, just starting out.

Recommend... bluetooth (for portability), brand, price, type of speaker (don't know if that would matter for music mixed in movies versus album music)?

Thank you guys! Happy to be here.

Welcome to the forum Daniel..........

In your budget range the "accuracy" level of the speakers you could end up with will likely be very low for almost anything.......and especially any of your project audio. It might be better to wait until you can spend a bit more....rather than waste your money now.

That said.......what headphones do you use? Do you check your audio results on other systems.........car.....home stereo....etc? If you think you might like creating and producing projects with audio in them.......and might be doing that for a while to come......wait until you can buy better speakers.

Check out charity shops for a small integrated hi fi amp and a pair of speakers (Wharfedale Diamonds were great but almost anything by KEF.)

Test them by listening for rattles and buzzes and if clean they should be fine. Having said that $100 is still a bit cheap!

Dave.

Daniel,

A you using a USB interface (which would/may have proper connections for monitors) to record with or using the onboard/builtin soundcard in the MacBook?

Mark beat me to the question. AUdio interface should be your first buy, if you don't have one yet. Any speakers you get for under $100 (for a pair) will have no low end at all, so will not work well for mixing anything below the low frequency of a regular guitar (~83Hz).

The new "Samson MediaOne M50" active speakers are quite good considering how inexpensive they are, i use them with my laptop and they are balanced enough to make some mixing with them.

It goes against the grain but with that budget I'd either buy nothing or buy better headphones.
How you hear your music is the most important thing in the process so anything you buy is likely to be upgraded in the not too distant future.
You can minimise upgrade-loss by doing it as infrequently as possible. ;)

I'd get a few hundred together and look for an interface and good starter monitors.(JBL LSR, for example).

Back