Good audio interface - focusrite or presonus or...?

ChrisThePlant

Hi,
I'm looking to get a good interface. I was recommended a presonus or a focusrite. What do you guys think of those? I found presonus to be a tad pricey, especially since I need one with at least 5 preamps.

My goal is to get something that lasts, not something that I'll need to replace in a couple years because (like my Behringer board) I find out that it uses crap parts.

I owned a focusrite platinum octopre mk1 (adat expensions) and a presonus firepod (firewire interface) once upon a time.

They're both gone now, but I would pay the money again if i had to choose between the two now.

The presonus was great sounding, but it was also very well built. Sturdy chassis and controls. Just felt solid.
I actually have an audiofire mobile at the minute which seems to have the same high build quality.

The tascam us1800 is very well priced with eight preamps and room for expansion.
I don't have 1st hand experience with it, but I have heard plenty of good reviews about it on here.

Regardless of my lack of experience, I've researched this extensively for the past month or so and have decided to go for an RME Fireface UFX. It only has four preamps and if I needed five I would get an external one, maybe a Focusrite ISA One.

Check out my website (go to page 2) and you can find a bunch of location recording projects that were recorded using a Presonus Firestudio 2626 and a Presonus Digimax FS. My outline on the site has a picture of my current rack also (along with very old gear).

I can vouch for the fact that Focusrite makes quality products. They use their "award-winning" pres in all their interfaces, which sound great. I've owned two of their interfaces (Saffire 6 and Pro 40) and they were both amazing right out of the box. I currently use the Pro 40 as my main interface in my studio.

I can vouch for the fact that Focusrite makes quality products. They use their "award-winning" pres in all their interfaces, which sound great. I've owned two of their interfaces (Saffire 6 and Pro 40) and they were both amazing right out of the box. I currently use the Pro 40 as my main interface in my studio.

My Platinum focusrite Mix Master Pro is great!

Never had a problem with my 1641 ever. Pre's have plenty of clean gain. Basically the exact same as the 1800.

Back