Goal: Recording guitar and vocals onto my Mac, Solution: Alesis MultiMix 6 USB?

jsanhuay

Hey everyone,

Let me start by saying, I know nothing about anything. So thanks in advance.

I would like to record covers - vocals, acoustic-electric guitar, and cajone. I currently have a macbook pro 2011. I've read through some posts and stickies to try to inform myself, and I've concluded that my best bet would be to buy some kind of USB mixer/audio interface and a microphone. (Originally considered USB mic's, but seems the consensus is that they aren't the most cost-effective solution in the long run.)

So I'm looking at either of these two:
Presonus AudioBox USB 2x2
amazon.com/dp/B0038YX3AO/ref=asc_df_B0038YX3AO1535963?smid=A1F7NXNJQRLT07&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0038YX3AO

or

Alesis Multimix 6 USB
guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-Recording-System-104841978-i1388074.gc

Any advice on which one I should get, or if this is a good idea? I don't mind recording single tracks over each other at a time. I could just plug my guitar into the interface, and pair it with a condenser mic like the MXL V67G, and start recording right?

Thanks everyone!!

I'm usually a big fan of mixers even in this day of working "in the box". However, the Multimix 6, like the 4 is more of a toy than a proper mixer. It doesn't have any of the facilities that make me a mixer advocate--pre fade auxes or dedicated monitoring outputs, nice faders, etc.

I'd go for a conventional interface (of which there are many) or up the budget and get a mixer with adequate facilities.

Bob

Back