Glad to be here! You have no idea how glad I am to be here!!

tomdbass

Glad to be here....You have no idea how glad I am to be here!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey folks,
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the forum and site. I'm sure I'm about to learn alot (which is why I came here) and also ask LOTS of questions. My name is Tom and I'm new to home recording but not studio recording in general. I work as a session musician in Nashville and lately I've been offered some work that I would either need to book a studio to accomplish OR cut the track(s) in a home (hopefully mine) studio. The idea of working from home appeals to me at times so I'm about to begin a long and hopefully fruitful journey, down the road of home recording. Got lots of questions in re to equiptment for my home studio, just not sure if I should ask them here or under the Newbie section.
Anyway, thanks again for helping me out and for letting me in on your corner of the web!

Welcome to the boards tom. Definitely check out the stickied topics at the top of the pages in each forum. There's a lot of great info to be read up on if your looking for a place to start learning.

Glad to be here....You have no idea how glad I am to be here!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey folks,
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the forum and site. I'm sure I'm about to learn alot (which is why I came here) and also ask LOTS of questions. My name is Tom and I'm new to home recording but not studio recording in general. I work as a session musician in Nashville and lately I've been offered some work that I would either need to book a studio to accomplish OR cut the track(s) in a home (hopefully mine) studio. The idea of working from home appeals to me at times so I'm about to begin a long and hopefully fruitful journey, down the road of home recording. Got lots of questions in re to equiptment for my home studio, just not sure if I should ask them here or under the Newbie section.
Anyway, thanks again for helping me out and for letting me in on your corner of the web!

Welcome Man! Look forward to learning from you as well. Even the most seasoned of us members (mostly salt and pepper on me), still learn something new everyday. It is nice that gear that can produce the quality we once paid a studio big money to accomplish, is affordable now.

Ask away, and best of luck on your journey!

Welcome to HR Tom. You'll find that generally speaking, it's a good learning environment. Take note though, people do get passionate, heated and worked up about things at times. Objects get thrown ! Fights happen. Grudges get held. Contracts get put out........
Cyberspace, internet and behind a screen it may be, but the emotional make up of we participants is just like in the real world.
It's not for the fainthearted but in reality, it's like anywhere else. Packed with frustrations and good times.

Welcome to HR Tom. You'll find that generally speaking, it's a good learning environment. Take note though, people do get passionate, heated and worked up about things at times. Objects get thrown ! Fights happen. Grudges get held. Contracts get put out........
Cyberspace, internet and behind a screen it may be, but the emotional make up of we participants is just like in the real world.
It's not for the fainthearted but in reality, it's like anywhere else. Packed with frustrations and good times.

You have never thrown anything at me! Have you??? :D

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice so far and I'm already feeling at home. My question (as I'm sure it's been asked an infinate amount of times) is what interface should I be looking at to get things started? My computer is pretty new and is pretty much up to date as far as processor speed, memory stuff like that. I guess what I need to find out is what would be the best interface for me to do what I need to do. I'm pretty much going to be just cutting bass tracks (both electric and acoustic upright) with it and sending them out to clients via Dropbox for them to mix and so on. So I'm pretty much doing what I normally do, but just from home. What would you guys recommend as a good interface for this. I checked out the Alesis iO/2 and the Express and it seemed to be pretty user friendly as well as capable of doing what I need. I like that it has the built in mic inputs and I do plan on using my Avalon U5 as a pre-amp. I've heard good things about the Cubase software as well that comes with it but again, I'm new to this and I could be setting myself up for a big disaster with it.

I bet I just happened to bend down at the appropriate time. Look out though, there may be a 'kick me' sticker on your back! :D
Ah, that explains why each time I scream out the neighbourhood kids for booting my 'ass~tronaut' they look at me as if to say "but we thought that's what you wanted ?" !

I've heard good things about the Cubase software as well that comes with it but again, I'm new to this and I could be setting myself up for a big disaster with it.
While I can't comment on the interface, I can vouch for Cubase. Jimmy can tell you more but I'd recommend it. Having said that, just about all the recording software is excellent. The way I judge it is to listen to some of the music that various contributors here offer up and in time, you get to know who uses what. And I've not come across any lousy software yet.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice so far and I'm already feeling at home. My question (as I'm sure it's been asked an infinate amount of times) is what interface should I be looking at to get things started? My computer is pretty new and is pretty much up to date as far as processor speed, memory stuff like that. I guess what I need to find out is what would be the best interface for me to do what I need to do. I'm pretty much going to be just cutting bass tracks (both electric and acoustic upright) with it and sending them out to clients via Dropbox for them to mix and so on. So I'm pretty much doing what I normally do, but just from home. What would you guys recommend as a good interface for this. I checked out the Alesis iO/2 and the Express and it seemed to be pretty user friendly as well as capable of doing what I need. I like that it has the built in mic inputs and I do plan on using my Avalon U5 as a pre-amp. I've heard good things about the Cubase software as well that comes with it but again, I'm new to this and I could be setting myself up for a big disaster with it.

Well, that is relative to what you plan to do in the future. Micing acoustic upright bass may just need one mic. More likely 3, plus a direct signal if it is electric. That in itself, will give you the need for a 4 input interface, with phantom power. Right now, the rage is the Tascam US 800 for $99. The unit seems to be discontinued but that is no big deal. I have a 1641 that was discontinued over a year ago, and it works perfectly. There are reports that the US800 is not working well with Windows 7. It could just be bad setup issues, but the amount of negative posts about the unit on W-7, would make hesitant to recommend if that is what you are running.

I would suggest doing a bunch of research on interfaces, and form your own opinion. What I say is right, is just my opinion. Plus, if you get what I say to, and it sucks, I am an ass. I don't like being an ass or having things thrown at me by people I thought were friends! ^^

:D

Thanks guys. I've heard great stuff about and recorded using Cubase. Most studios in town here use either ProTools or Cubase. I'm running Widows XP Pro. I'm definately gonna check out some interfaces and do some listening to see what will work. I do agree with you Jimmy about micing the upright. 2 mics are usually the least they'll use on it on a tracking session, so having additional inputs on the interface is the way to go. Plus I also don't want to be limited to just 2 inputs. thanks again guys. You've really helped.

First things first Tom... give us a budget and an idea of what recording gear (if any) you already have.

Luck.

First things first Tom... give us a budget and an idea of what recording gear (if any) you already have.

Luck.
My budget to start off with is at about $600.00. Im planning on investing more as time goes on (and as needed) but for right now, it's approx 600. I do not have any recording gear whatsoever. The sessions that I do are at various studios in and around Nashville. This is my first venture into "Home Recording"

I'd use something with a little more horsepower than a $99 interface if it was gonna be played back in any decent control room in Nashville.

C'mon guys. You're talking about rooms with Digi, Apogee, and boutique converters out the ass.

Check Craigslist for used Lynx, Hammerfall, Apogee, Focusrite, etc either firewire or PCI-based. I don't know about MOTU and XPPro, maybe somebody here does. MOTU is really geared towards Mac users but may have Windows drivers too. You gotta research this a bit because some cards only do ADAT or AES/EBU and you want audio I/O.

There must be tons of that stuff in Nashville for cheap there is plenty in Seattle.

I'd use something with a little more horsepower than a $99 interface if it was gonna be played back in any decent control room in Nashville.

C'mon guys. You're talking about rooms with Digi, Apogee, and boutique converters out the ass.

Check Craigslist for used Lynx, Hammerfall, Apogee, Focusrite, etc either firewire or PCI-based. I don't know about MOTU and XPPro, maybe somebody here does. MOTU is really geared towards Mac users but may have Windows drivers too. You gotta research this a bit because some cards only do ADAT or AES/EBU and you want audio I/O.

There must be tons of that stuff in Nashville for cheap there is plenty in Seattle.

So what would you recommend for a total budget of $600? Remember, he has no recording gear. Hell, two decent mics, cables and stands cost more than that. He needs Interface, DAW, Monitors, headphones, and food. Possibly computer upgrades, hard drive, and Lava Lamp too!

I don't know.

If it was me I'd be using whatever they have been using on him in the rooms he's been playing, or at least something in that direction.

That's what they wanna hear!

He said a starting budget.

Pretty much all of the studios here run either ProTools or Cubase. And while $600.00 is a meger budget, it's what I have to start out with. As things progress, I'll add more to suite my needs. But I'm not doing full on production or multitracking at my home studio. I'm simply recording a bass track to a songwriter/producers project and sending them the wave file for them to use.

Back