getting the vocals loud enough.

Whisperingcreek

I just got my new 8 track recorder. I've been fooling around with it a lot and the big problem that I keep having is getting the vocals loud enough. A lot of time I hear them really loud in my ear and then I won't be able to hear them mearly as loud on playback. I'm almost sure it has something to do with tape cue and all that but there are just so many knobs. Could someone please explain a simple way to get the vocals right the first time.

Creek of Whispering person:

If you have an 8 track tape recorder, which I am assuming, just follow the recording steps; to listen to your cut, you need to set up the cue part of your recorder; then, you can listen to your vocal which will be plenty loud if you have recorded at a level recommended in the manual. When you MIX-Down your product you turn OFF all of the CUE buttons and use the faders and E-Q and reverb unit to adjust your recording to proper levels before you put it on cassette or another medium.

If your mic requires phantom power and you do not supply that power, you will not get much out of your mic. My Yamaha MD-8 digital recorder has phantom power built in. But, I also have a mic-pre-amplifier that I use which gives vocals a nice clear sound, like to old great Sinatra recordings.

Remember, the CUE sections is there so that if you do multiple tracks, drums, bass, keys, violins, etc., you RECORD one additive track at a time, usually, and all OTHER TRACKS MUST BE IN THE CUE MODE SO YOU DON'T GET TRACK BLEEDING OR BOUNCING which will give you garble city. Read the manual and then read it again. Use the net to get into specific chat groups, e.g., Tascam users or Yam users. Hope this helps.

The Green Hornet

WhisperingCreek:

Punch in the following info site; it is a great site to look for things like TASCAM information.
www.askjeeves.com

Then, ask, "Where can I find TASCAM information?" You will then be connected to several search engines and their results. I just did this and got the TASCAM company's information site. From there, you can ask away.

Go to a dealer and check out the Yamaha MD-8 track digital box. Get a demo. It's not as good as CD but beats tape. Much less noise, less clicks/pops, etc. I'm still learning how to use mine but you can record right out of the box. It's talking to the computer chip that takes "Asian understanding." Keep pushing those buttons.

Green Hornet

Back