Getting started with only a MIDI keyboard

Remco C

Dear home recorders,

Me and some friends would like to start making music together.
I’m a piano player and the most experienced of us with improvising and playing the acoustic piano. We would like to learn and practice making deep house music.

To achieve this I would like to buy a MIDI keyboard with a starter software package such as Ableton Live lite. I already have a great speaker setup, and an average computer (i5, SSD, 8GB DDR3...) with 2 monitors.

I would like to know if the following idea would be a good start to learn using Ableton and getting started to make some basic tunes.

I thought it would be smart to buy a Novation Launchkey 61 MIDI keyboard. This keyboard features 8 rotary encoder knobs, 9 sliders, 16 pads with RGB LEDs that match the clip color in the software and some start/stop/pause buttons. I think such a keyboard would make a separate MIDI controller for controlling effects and VST’s unnecessary.
Additionally, I would like to know if it would be smart to buy an external audio interface because in the past I experienced some problems with the response time of my sound card to any MIDI input. When I pressed a key, it would take a few milliseconds before the sound was produced. This is VERY frustrating when playing live, or when I tried to play along with other tracks. Furthermore, it may be useful in the future when we want to use microphones for vocals and vocoders.

Do you think this all is a good way to start experimenting with producing house music with Ableton?

I am looking forward to your response guys!

Ableton Live is good, but Live Lite is very lite as far as how many tracks you can use, etc.:

Audio and MIDI tracks:
8 -- Live Lite
16 -- Live Intro
Unlimited -- Live Standard
Unlimited -- Live Suite

Send and return tracks:
2 -- Live Lite
2 -- Live Intro
12 -- Live Standard
12 -- Live Suite

Scenes:
8 -- Live Lite
8 -- Live Intro
Unlimited -- Live Standard
Unlimited -- Live Suite

Mono audio input channels:
? -- Live Lite
4 -- Live Intro
256 -- Live Standard
256 -- Live Suite

Mono audio output channels:
? -- Live Lite
4 -- Live Intro
256 -- Live Standard
256 -- Live Suite

Note that the number of audio and MIDI tracks listed above is the total for both, not the number per each, so you can have up to 8 MIDI tracks in Live Lite if you don't use any audio tracks, or up to 8 audio tracks if you don't use any MIDI tracks, or some combination that adds up to no more than 8 tracks, such as 4 audio tracks and 4 MIDI tracks. That might be enough for casual work, or to get started with-- especially if you plan things accordingly with the maximum number of tracks in mind-- but you might need more tracks if you want to get really serious. The number of return tracks might be more of an issue, especially if you want to add a lot of effects to your audio/MIDI tracks.

Back