Getting started with DAW

Banjovi1

I have recently purchased new equipment that I am trying to set up, its an 8-channel MBox with Pro Tools 12.8. I need to get advice on what PC's with built-in firewire port are working well for audio. Can anyone give me some advice? I would be buying a desktop PC for the sole purpose of this function, and don't want to drop a lot of money on other bells and whistles. Any advice appreciated.

Hi,
Your best bet with firewire and PCs is to get on AVID DUC and find out either what systems they officially support, or get first hand experience from users of systems that are working well.
That may sound vague but seriously, it's the best advice. Too many people just buy a computer and then run into firewire chipset compatibility issues.

Hope that helps.

No probs.
Sorry I can't offer anything specific but maybe threads like this will be helpful?

I've seen sweeping statements about avoiding built-in firewire in favour of a PCI-E card with TI chipset.

I did run Protools firewire interfaces that way on 2 or 3 different motherboards in the core2duo/core2quad era, if that's worth anything.
I never had any issues.

Back