Getting a great bass tone

Spin

hi..two quick questions...one...im buying a rode NT-1...whats a good preamp...for under $200?...and the second is...i have a great bass rig (SVT-Classic stack)...whats the best way to record it?...through my preamp out (which ill have to crank the amp)...direct out..(isnt just like plugging straight in to the board?)...or should i get one of those sans amp bass drivers?

thanks everyone for your help
this site is GREAT

spin

You shouldn't need to get a preamp if you have a mixer - unless you you want to put it through a vaccuum tube preamp.
Different technigues get different sounds.
If you are not miking the cabinet, then use your D.I. output - this means the single comes from the preamp on your SVT - and its balanced.
Or miking it will get a different sound - perhaps fatter - experiment.
I wouldn't bother with a bass driver if you have a D.I. on your amp.
The bass driver is a D.I. with an active preamp - basically what you got on your amp, but I'd always go an Ampeg preamp before i'd touch a sansamp :)

Cheers,
Chris

I have the SansAmp Bass Driver DI box. In my opinion, it sucks as a DI box but really fattens up the tone when you use it in combination with your amplifier. It's kind of pricy though...I got mine for $129 and am not sure if I couldn't have gone a better route. I've heard that the POD will work pretty well for bass and guitar...haven't tried that though ($300).

I actually use the SansAmp on my guitar for a more tube-like sound. It's definately not made for the guitar, but if you tweek it right it can make some cool sounds. You can check out my latest tune in the MP3 Mixing Clinic forum on this board. I think I used the SansAmp on the bass and all the rhythm guitar parts (not leads though...couldn't get em to sound good there)

Slackmaster 2000

thanks guys...i have the POD...and its prety cool for guitar but i havent played with it enough to geta good bass tone (if its even posible)...im gonna end up micing the cabinet i think...it has such a great sound...but that means a new mic...oh well....i love getting new stuff....thanks again

spin

Back