Getting the digital recording to my hard drive from a portable digital unit?

kihoalu

I am considering a portable digital multitracker.

Question 1: If I get a portable digital multitracker that records directly to an internally mounted hard drive, how do I get the file to my pc's hard drive so that I can burn it on my CD burner?

Question 2: I know that there may be an issue with audion extraction when going from CD to CD burner? Are there any issues from going from my hard drive to my CD burner?

Sorry for the ignorance! Recording intrigues me and I would like to learn more.

I seem to have missed this, so...

1. The only way (unless you happen to get the one that has 3rd party software support for plugging in a SCSI cable to your PC, I forget which that is) is to transfer (i.e. "record") the mixed-down stereo version via a cable through your sound card to the computer. If you have a Really Good sound card, then even an analog transfer will sound good; otherwise the quality will be as good as your sound card can do...be sure to record in 44.1 KHz stereo mode! A digital transfer (if you have a sound card that accepts digital in) should be a perfect copy.

2. Shouldn't be any problems but if it's a master CD-R you're burning for eventual mass duplication, you might want to try it in 1x mode rather than a faster method.

Back