General Questions

casey3115

im interested in getting a couple questions answered. i want to do some recording of guitars and vocals then dub piano behind it.

1. which mixer. the mackie 1402 is right in my price range.
2. which card with that mixer.

i got a recomondation at one time to get a delta 1010. i was curious if that is a good idea with the mackie 1402, and i read a description about the delta 1010 that reads as follows...

This is a combination rack mount 8 channel analog I/O box (line level only) plus S/PDIF and PCI card (24-bit, 96kHz capable.... etc. etc.

3. what does line level only mean?
4. is something like the delta 1010 nesecarry if i want to be recording about 4+ tracks simultaneously... or is there another way to do it... i just want to avoid one track at a time and doing all that overdubbing

if i can get a couple responses to the questions about the first two components to my studio... (mixer, sound card) then i will be able to generate some more questions for you guys to answer.

"Line level only" means you'll need a mixer or preamp with it to bring the signal up to line level. Most cards come this way.

There's lots of folks here that use the Delta 1010 / Mackie combo (just make sure the Mackie you buy has as many direct outs or channel inserts as tracks you'll be recording).

The Delta 1010 will allow you to record 8 analog tracks at once (plus 2 digital). If you only need 4 tracks at once (and don't think you'll ever need more), you might look at a smaller interface like the Delta 44.

I've never owned either - I use a C-Port with a mixer.

However, I've heard that the converters are not quite the same. If the 1010 won't break the bank, I'd go with that. You'll end up with a better interface and you'll have more flexibility down the road.

casey3115 said:
is the only difference between the 1010 and the 44 the number of input and outputs?

The 1010 has it's converters in a rack mount box and they are higher quality, higher dynamic range. The 1010 is a value that's not easy to beat for the sound quality you are getting and mine has been a real workhorse.

I prefer the convenience of inline mixers as they have direct outs and in's on every channel. I like that flexibility. Many here use Mackies but I don't think their lower priced units are inline mixers.

Back