General Advice about a career in sound engineering

Thanks for your insight!
I am interested in improving my abilities with mixing and maybe mastering. I notice that you mentioned a few courses, but they appear to be for people who want to go into full time education.
I am already in full-time employment in an engineering role (mostly electronics and RADAR) and I only write and record music on a hobbyist level.
So, I would be interested in some study that I could do at home. Are there any courses out there?
Many years ago, I was a hobbyist jeweller and I eventually built up a small business making jewellery to order. I am happy to start out as an independent, very small-scale studio maybe grow it from there. It is an ideal, but non-the-less, if I work at it and don't expect instant success, then I may get to work at it full time, but realistically, I'll see how it goes and just enjoy recording and audio work rather than try to force it to pay me a living :)
It's been fun reading the various responses and viewpoints.
Okay, I'll just wind it up now as I may already be straying off topic :eek:

...I only write and record music on a hobbyist level.
So, I would be interested in some study that I could do at home. Are there any courses out there?

There's a lot on youtube (search for the subject that interests you), and a lot of useful how-to videos on the various software maker websites, usually focusing on how to best utilize their product(s). I know Cakewalk has a bunch. Watching videos will give you a few ideas, but the best teacher is practice and lot of trial/error.

Thanks for your insight!
I am interested in improving my abilities with mixing and maybe mastering. I notice that you mentioned a few courses, but they appear to be for people who want to go into full time education.
I am already in full-time employment in an engineering role (mostly electronics and RADAR) and I only write and record music on a hobbyist level.
Many years ago, I was a hobbyist jeweller and I eventually built up a small business making jewellery to order. I am happy to start out as an independent, very small-scale studio maybe grow it from there. It is an ideal, but non-the-less, if I work at it and don't expect instant success, then I may get to work at it full time, but realistically, I'll see how it goes and just enjoy recording and audio work rather than try to force it to pay me a living :)
It's been fun reading the various responses and viewpoints.
Okay, I'll just wind it up now as I may already be straying off topic :eek:

I would stay with the day job and do it as a hobby, it seems you have a very good career. I spent about 10 years as a live FOH and monitor tech. It was a very good experience but I spent about 300 days a year on the road. the money was not all that great and it cost me 3 marriages. it is very hard to break in and make a good living in this business. I make 4 times what I made in my current field. but you have to weigh the pros and cons. It can be done but as in my case I had no other life. :D

I would stay with the day job and do it as a hobby, it seems you have a very good career. I spent about 10 years as a live FOH and monitor tech. It was a very good experience but I spent about 300 days a year on the road. the money was not all that great and it cost me 3 marriages. it is very hard to break in and make a good living in this business. I make 4 times what I made in my current field. but you have to weigh the pros and cons. It can be done but as in my case I had no other life. :D

Whoa!:facepalm: Thank you for being so Candid and a thank you to Pinky too. I will take a look to see what videos are around, keep it as a hobby and keep it as real as my excited and passionate mind will allow. :guitar: I have a friend who has just gone full time as a freelance mixing and mastering one-man business, so I shall be watching him carefully. Many thanks once more!

For an alternate point of view, I spent about 35 years on the video side of things and have no regrets at all. I worked with some great people.

There's no guarantees but I'm finding this topic providing a very negative point of view.

But lots of people are talking about the music industry which is indeed a nest of vipers. The OP says she's interested in film and video which tends to be a lot more structured and features a more defined career path, from technical training up through the industry.

Obviously only a few make it to the top of the game and design sound for Star Wars...but a lot of people have satisfying careers in the industry.

Back