Gear Recommendations?

johnsnowwhite

Hello,

I've been using CuBase on 27" monitor for couple of months (still a newbie right? lol) and was suffering from the screen real-estate.

So I was thinking about getting a bigger 21:9 monitor for my setup.

Came across this LG UltraWide Festival giveaway where they are giving away lg's 34" and 38" monitors.

My question is, 34" or 38" Bigger the better?

I mean sure 38" would be better for wider timelines, but what I am worried about is 38" being too big for my desk.

Would a 38" too big for a regular desk setup?

Welll that kind of depends on your desk, doesn't it? ;) I'd have to sit well back in order to see all that screen without constantly turning my head left and right. Is there some reason you need to loo at your whole timeline at once? (You can shrink it, you know!)

I actually like multiple screens so that you can have different views on each screen. For example the mixer view on one and the waveform view on the other, or all the plugins on one screen and the mixer on another.

Alan.

Would a 38" too big for a regular desk setup?

I've got a pair of 24", 16:10 ratio screens, which are a bit taller than your widescreen 16:9 ratio screens...so that's 48" across, plus the bezels in-between, and my studio monitors are set over 5.5' apart, tweeter to tweeter...67.5" give or take a 1/4"...which is an optimum spread for proper stereo imaging, but I also have a console which naturally pushes me back into the sweet spot of that larger equilateral triangle (67.5"x67.5"x67.5")

https://www.carltatzdesign.com/acoustic-tools/the-null-positioning-ensemble.pdf

Yes, it's seems like a big spread for your typical home laptop or computer desk setup...where people often have one screen and their monitors only about 3-4' apart, and where they often sit only about 18-24 inches from the screen, which pretty much totally screws up any decent imaging you might get and/or your monitors are like a pair of large headphones on either side of your head and ears...but it works.

So no...38" is not too big. :)

I don't have mine together as there is a bloody big console in front of me, so I have one off to the side on a movable arm, up down and in out, and the one directly in front can move back and forward and out the way if I want to look through the control room window. I swap what is one which screen depending on if I am editing, mixing or mastering.

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the current setup.

Alan.

Back