Gaming and recording

Protos666

Hi people!
So i been wanting to record my voice on an online computer game, and i cant make it work.
I have Shure SM57 and lexicon alpha connected to my computer.
Its connected via the USB and the Microphone is connected to the lexicon via XLR.
How can i record to the game??
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Can you explain a little better what you mean?

Do you want to record the game and your voice as a commentary?
If so, tell us what software, or hardware, you're using for game capture.

If I understand the question correctly:

Recording the game can be accomplished by looping output to input on the Alpha. If you are using the RCA outs it would be easiest. If you're using the TSR outs, you'll have to use RCA to TSR adapters which may introduce some unwanted noise.
Loop the outputs (1 & 2) to the TSR inputs (1 & 2) on the back of the Alpha and start your DAW. Make sure to set your levels first to a loud part of the game. Start recording from the inputs (1 & 2) in a stereo track and then start the game. When you've finished with what you want recorded stop recording and clear away what you don't want at the beginning and end of the take.
Now you can voice over in the daw by creating a second track and doing the voice.

If your wanting to capture PC gaming the 'Fraps' is your best bet. You'll lose upto 25% of your frames per second but still the best way.

If it's Xbox/PlayStation you're wanting to capture then you should be looking at game capture cards such as 'Elgato' or 'Hauppauge'. Some cards allow you to add audio as you record gameplay in realtime... But most of the quality videos you'll have seen will have had the commentary added afterwards in a DAW that supports video or specific video editing software (FinalCut etc).

My 12 year old has much better info on this subject than me TBH. He nagged for ages to get a game capture card - and I had to put a ban on him using my studio computer to add his commentary because he (actually not sure how) infected it. Ended up giving him a USB condenser I bought for iPad podcasts.

Back