Freeware Audio Sequencers?

coopkenta

Ok...I'm just an amature whos only been recording for a few months...I'm on a really REALLY tight budget and I dont have the money to just go out and buy some nice recording software...

So my question is...Do y'all know of any really good free substitutes for Cubase or Protools etc? I'm using Kristal Audio Engine, and its "ok", but I think I could do better.

Any ideas?

I've been using Jazz++ since 2001. New version on Dec 20, 2008
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jazzplusplus/
Jazz++ is a full featured, audio capable, cross-platform MIDI sequencer. Jazz++ offers a lot of functions normally only found in expensive sequencer software, and is used by professionals and hobby musicians all over the world.​
I create my sequences / drum tracks in JAZZ++ then import the MIDI into my DAW and apply VST Instruments

Here's a link to documentation with screen shots http://jazzplusplus.sourceforge.net/manual/jazz_contents.html

If you want something difficult, Traverso is supposed to be a good pro tools rip-off. (I can't tell my ass from my head in it though.)

If you're looking for something different but fun to experiment with, try Jeskola Buzz. It's my personal favorite.

Le

Cubase LE is often bundled with hardware products, it's a light version of Cubase, but still very good. I'm sure someone out there must have a copy of LE, which they don't use because they've got it's bigger brother.

Or, try a search for LE on-line and see if it cones with a bit of software you DO want to buy. I've seen LE bundled with software as cheap as £50

I've been using Jazz++ since 2001. New version on Dec 20, 2008
Jazz++ is a full featured, audio capable, cross-platform MIDI sequencer. Jazz++ offers a lot of functions normally only found in expensive sequencer software, and is used by professionals and hobby musicians all over the world.​
I create my sequences / drum tracks in JAZZ++ then import the MIDI into my DAW and apply VST Instruments

i know u can do midi stuff with jazz+++, but can u do just a normal analog recording with it?

i know u can do midi stuff with jazz+++, but can u do just a normal analog recording with it?
Yes.
I don't have the application on this PC, but you have to:
1) enable Audio and set rate in the Options and
2) for the Track, identify it as an Audio track

Then, you can record to the track.

Also, you can import an audio file into the sequence, which is what I originally understood, since the topic was "sequencers" rather than multi-track recording with MIDI

you might want to also look at Quartz Audio Master "Free" from digital sound planet. very basic, but it works
This will run on a Pentium 2 and 64 MB RAM

Thanks guys so much for your input. I've tried all of the programs y'all mentioned, and they all either didnt work, wasn't was I was looking for, or was shareware.

I need some more ideas. Remember, I'm mainly looking for a multi-track recorder, and it must be 100% free because I'm only 15 and I have no money.

QUARTZ STUDIO FREE
http://digitalsoundplanet.com/SoftwareHouse/Products/Quartz_Studio/Studio_Free/studio_free.phtml

Features 4 full tracks + 2 "master" tracks and all the basic requirements needed to easily record and mix audio.

Technical Specifications :
  • Runs on Windows™ 95/98/ME/NT/2000
  • 6 audio tracks (4 "full" / 2 "master")
  • 1 stereo input
  • 1 stereo output
  • User Friendly interface
  • Spatial localization in real time
  • Waveform/audio data editing
  • Real-time mixing
  • 16-bit sample resolution
  • 44.1 Khz sample rate
  • Per-track real-time effect processing (“full” tracks only)
  • Reverb
  • Chorus
  • Compressed Mix file format (requires the Quartz Mpeg 3 Codec for saving)
  • Mixdown to PCM
  • Mixdown to MP3 (requires the Quartz Mpeg 3 Codec)
  • PCM file Import
  • MP3 file Import

I'm gonna need more than 4 tracks though. I'm thinking 16+...I know thats a lot to ask for if I'm gonna find something free, but I know stuff like this is out there. I've been using Kristal Audio Engine for almost a year, and its been pretty good. It has 16 tracks, full mixer, vst support etc. The only reason I'm wanting to ditch it is because its unstable, lacks MIDI support, and theres a horrible latency when recording. And it only supports 2 vst's per track, and I "hoping" for 3 or 4. Thanks for your help keep posting.

Thanks for your help guys. I've finally found my solution...I downloaded MU.LAB a few days ago, and I loved the interface and the features, but it required an ASIO driver in able to record or play anything at all. And all of my stuff is analog because I dont have the money to buy expensive ASIO-based interfaces. But, I found out about asio4all.com, where you can download a "fake" ASIO driver. It basically takes the standard line-in/mic inputs on your sound card, and makes the rest of your system think its an ASIO-based input. I thought it sounded too good to be true at first, but I downloaded it, and it works perfectly.

If y'all have got ASIO-based rigs, you gotta check out MU.LAB ... I has loads of features you would think you would only find on expensive apps like Cubase n Protools etc.

If y'all have got ASIO-based rigs, you gotta check out MU.LAB ... I has loads of features you would think you would only find on expensive apps like Cubase n Protools etc.

and a 15 yr old whos been recording a few months knows the ins and outs of Cubase and Protools...:D

Back