Focusrite Scarlett vs NI KA 6?

rafecomo

Hello everyone, basically I'm gonna buy an interface and after a long research I've narrowed it down to the Scarlett 6i6 or 18i8 and the KA6. Basically the 18i8 was out of my list cause of the price, however I recently saw that because of a sale in the store I plan to but it it is now on my price range, so basically I have two questions, should I definetly take the chance of this sale and go for the 18i8 instead of the 6i6? Cause I don't know if there is any different than more ins and outs. And second, between the Scarllets I've mentioned and the Komplete Audio 6, which on the 2 would you recommend? Cause I was almost sure for the Scarlett, but recently I've heard some good comments for the KA6, hope you can help me, specially now that am more towards the 18i8 but still want to know if it's good or not, Thanks,

I am a big fan of the KA6 but if you can afford the 18i8 then I say go for it IF you need the connectivity and of course the future proofing of the ADAT provision.

The KA6 has the advantage of total (and only) bus power but this does compromise the phantom power capability somewhat although I have no problems with a pair of AKG SDCs. I would still say the KA6 is the best, smallish AI for the home studio IF the track count is sufficient and especially if very low latency is required, those wanting to use VSTIs would be very well served.

But yes, to re-iterate, for a more ambitious projjy studio, especially if several musicians are envisaged, go Scarlet!

Dave.

I am a big fan of the KA6 but if you can afford the 18i8 then I say go for it IF you need the connectivity and of course the future proofing of the ADAT provision.

The KA6 has the advantage of total (and only) bus power but this does compromise the phantom power capability somewhat although I have no problems with a pair of AKG SDCs. I would still say the KA6 is the best, smallish AI for the home studio IF the track count is sufficient and especially if very low latency is required, those wanting to use VSTIs would be very well served.

But yes, to re-iterate, for a more ambitious projjy studio, especially if several musicians are envisaged, go Scarlet!

Dave.
+1

The 18i8 is not only going to give you more inputs up front but it also gives you the capability to expand via ADAT if you ever need to. It all really depends on what your goals are; if you are just going to be recording yourself and will only use 2 inputs (at most) at any given time, then save your money and go KA6 or 6i6. If you've got bigger plans of recording a full band at one go, then give the 18i8 a try.

Back