Focusrite 18i8 vs Tascam US1800

belzrebuth

Hi all,
First post here!So i'm in the hunt for a multi i/o interface and my budget got me down to these two options.I currently use a Yamaha Mg12/4 mixer and a Emu 0404 so this will be a huge step up in my workflow.I want to properly eq each track in its own channel something that untill now used to be limited to the 3 band eq on my mixer.I also want to add fx realtime so latency is very important.The Tascam offers more and cost less but the Focusrite is newer and a lot of people say that has better preamps and driver support.I'm using a macbook late 2009 pro 13' w/ 10.6.8 and a thinkpad w/ win 7 64.

Edit: I'm using Ableton Live 9 in both computers.

I have a US-1800, I use a PC and Reaper, never had any problems at all and the sounds I get are respectable . Having said that Im guessing almost everyone will agree that the pre's in the focusrite are better and in fact that's the next interface I plan on getting,18i20, if I ever can save up enough money. If I were you I would do the same and just get the 18i20 then you will have as many inputs as the 1800 and a better sounding unit to start with.

I too have an 1800. Works great for me.

What you did not mention are three things that do far more for the sound of your recordings than selecting between lower cost preamps, and they are:

1) Room Treatment. Where are you going to be doing these recordings and what has been done as far as preperation to this area?

2) Microphones. What do you have, what are you planning on using.

3) Microphone placement.

1) Room Treatment. Where are you going to be doing these recordings and what has been done as far as preperation to this area?

2) Microphones. What do you have, what are you planning on using.

3) Microphone placement.
You're absolutely right!All three all very important factors that are usually not taken seriously.I'm recording mainly synths and maybe acoustic guitar and percussion in an untreated room with SM57s and 58s so my preamp quality will probably "get lost" if i don't take into consideration the room reverb.Anyways i got in touch with a guy selling a used Tascam and i saw that the xlr inputs are not combo so i refused to buy it because i wanted to further research if regular 1.4" TS cables from unbalanced sources (synthesizers) need some kind of converter to xlr or worse if i need to buy/make 8 new TS to XLR from a microphone cable.I know i probably should've taken it because even the cost of 8 new cables will be significantly less from buying a new 18i8/18i20 but somehow i became anxious about it and left.:facepalm:

:facepalm: indeed. While the first 8 inputs are straight XLR (Mic) the next two are selectable between DI or line in and have an input level control. Then there are four more line in's in the back less level control but switchable from -10 to +4 operating level.

I am right about the first 8 though?It would require a 3 conductor mic cable TS > XLR in order to connect line level devices right?!
Something like this:
KCREF9003_a1.jpg

Now that the deal with the US1800 is cancelled i'm down to either 18i8 or 18i20.Both are newer models and i may not need all 8 preamps and even i fi do there's always adat and s/pdif for additional preamps but i wonder if the 8 more outputs of the 18i20 will be of use in a home studio situation.The only possible use i think i can make of is to use those outputs as FX returns if the latency is real low.So i can use my interface as a realtime effects processor.Then i could I need maybe a pair for each individual (stereo) effect.I don't think i need separate mixes or more than one headphone out as i make music all by myself.I'm not in the US so the 18i20 costs about 120 more than 18i8 here and i think if the extra outputs of the 18i20 are worth it..

Last edited:
Back