FL Studio: Why does my interface sound different than my primary sound driver?

Slutner

Hey all,

I've been recording guitar into FL Studio and I've noticed that my recording sounds much different when my headphones are plugged into my audio interface than when I plug them into my computer and change the audio settings to Primary Sound Driver. I was wondering if there's a way to get my interface to sound the same as my primary sound driver because it is much clearer and I would like to hear what my recording actually sounds like when my headphones are still in the audio interface so I don't have to keep switching back and forth to hear what I actually recorded.

I use a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface and connect my headphones through a 1/4 inch jack to aux converter in the interface.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

I imagine you are hearing the direct input (i.e. your guitar non-processed) when you plug into the Focusrite (there is a 'direct monitor on/off switch), and you're hearing the processed (with effects/sims) sound when plugged into your computer's headphone jack. You need to have the Focusrite selected as both the input and output device in FL.

I tried that and it didn't fix the problem. I did manage to fix it though. I guess something's weird with my headphone jack adapter. When I plug my headphones in all the way it sounds muffled and weird. However, if I plug them in almost all the way but not quite all the way in it sounds perfect.

Back