First Recording Gig

Been a long time and it wasn't a rock band, but...
Get yourself a BIG spiral backed notebook and plenty of pens.
Get several rolls of decorators paper masking tape to label mics etc.
Get several rolls of Gaffer tape.
Solder iron, solder.

Do you have a running order? If not get one. Handy to put it up on a white board (then, after 5 hours you can at least say "Look! Stop pissing about! We have only done ONE track!")

Don't know what the "pros" here think but I reckon you will be lucky to get a ratio better than 10% RAW track time to actual elapsed time. Remember, the time constraints were not of your making. (when recording shows at a DR "we" used to have a logging recorder running at 15/16ips so that we had a record of what the show "producah" SAID he wanted!)

Backup/safety recording. Can you buy a USB hard drive to dump tracks onto as you go? USB 3.0 would be best if the computer has the ports.

Break a leg.

Dave.

Cheers Dave.

To be honest I'm hoping I contract a bad cold today and can't make it for the weekend. We'll see if I get 'lucky'. :)

And I found out yesterday the laptop they use doesn't have USB 3.0. Not sure what year it's from. :/

Enjoy your weekend guys!

The presonus you mentioned (24.4.2) you would be using is a firewire device, at least the original 24.4.2. The newer AI version may be USB 3???. It sounds like the board and the laptop have not been married together before?

Last edited:
I don't think the new AI are USB either. Pretty sure it's a firewire only product.

I use the 16.0.2 and have no problems. I also don't have any problem putting effect in the headphones for tracking.

So.... Get this!!! Showed up today... They made all sorts of changes to the computer and it totally doesn't work anymore. Press record in the daw..... Nothing. No moving bar, no level meters lighting up. LOL.

I guess the hardest part is going to be deciding when to leave. Not what I had imagined.

the drummer has wasted 30 minutes with us. I can only imagine the stress when the rest of the band gets here.

So.... Get this!!! Showed up today... They made all sorts of changes to the computer and it totally doesn't work anymore. Press record in the daw..... Nothing. No moving bar, no level meters lighting up. LOL.

I guess the hardest part is going to be deciding when to leave. Not what I had imagined.

the drummer has wasted 30 minutes with us. I can only imagine the stress when the rest of the band gets here.

Who messes with a setup that works right before a recording session?

What were they trying to do anyway?

Glad to see you guys are off to a good start. :laughings: ;)

WTF were they thinking messing with the computer before the session?

AFA the "drummer wasted 30 minutes"....was his girlfriend with him? :D
Actually, 30 minutes is nothing unusual, not just for the drummer, but any of the players.
That was part of what I was getting at about band sessions not being the same as solo home-rec sessions. You end up with all kinds of unexpected shit.

The best thing you could do with them is have them set up as close as possible to how they do for their practices/gigs....at least that way it will be familiar to them....assuming they get the DAW sorted out.

That's one of the beauties of tracking to a tape deck...getting a cue mix ready and then simply hitting REC is much easiers, plus none of the latency issues, can make things more straightforward...of course, you then pay the price with limited track availability, and the RW/FW actions, since the tape deck doesn't have that instant recall capability of a DAW....
...but the tape rewinds give the drummer more time to waste. :p

Keep us posted.....you should keep a journal of the whole thing, might prove a funny read when it's all done.

Hey, where are you in the Big Bear area...?....any of the fires near you?

Lol.... You're right... I should be keeping notes of this experience. Will update fully when I get home to a full size keyboard.

hope you guys are at least getting a chuckle from the adventures.

I might be too late with the advice...
The best thing you can do is make the band comfortable with the process. If you are able to get a great performance out of them, the only thing you have to do is stay out of the way and capture it. A half-assed recording of a great performance will work. A great recording of a half-assed performance will not.

Lol.... You're right... I should be keeping notes of this experience. Will update fully when I get home to a full size keyboard.

hope you guys are at least getting a chuckle from the adventures.

Maybe a chuckle because I have been there before. Many many years ago...Not so funny when you are older and have other stuff you could be doing.

Curious how it works out tho. :)

So... score at the end of the day. 9.5 hours. Drums for all 4 songs are laid down and sound good. Rhythm (is that really how that's spelled???) guitar for 2 songs was laid down before I had to leave. I'm not too confident on them finishing the rhythm parts without me in an hour, but maybe they did.

PC didn't stop recording once, and I didn't pick my nose all day (while I was there anyways).

So who knows how much we'll get done tomorrow. The guy running the PC was having a HELL of a time keeping track of new tracks. It was driving me insane. I wanted to keep butting in, but 3 cooks trying to cook a meal in front of hungry guests is not pretty. I had to assert myself a few times because of the stupid mistakes he was making. Seriously a comedy of errors. Wish you guys could have seen.

I really understand the comments someone made about controlling the room. People need direction and to be told what to do. It was interesting. Also interesting what people hear in their own performances. There was this part where the guitarist said he heard a problem. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't explain it to us, and no one else could hear it, even the guys in the band. After a couple minutes of back and forth I told them it sounded fine and we are moving on. Worked great. Taking control really helped things move along. I would love to actually be 'in control'. Someday.

Who messes with a setup that works right before a recording session?

What were they trying to do anyway?

Apparently the guys I'm working with do. :/ I can't say I was thrilled when I showed up and saw what had happened.

The computer had been dropping out during practices, giving an error something like: Hard drive not fast enough, stopping recording. So in the past few days they got an external firewire hard drive. I don't know if they did something wrong installing it... (not sure what you can do wrong with an external hard drive, thought you just plugged it in). Anyways, they had hooked it up yesterday and never actually tried pressing record with it plugged in. So I unplugged the thing and thought that would fix it. After I did that the DAW wouldn't even load. Yikes! The one guy took reigns of the computer only to turn on the wifi... guess he wanted to look something up. I've brought it up to him many times not too. He doesn't listen. So with the wifi on, Windows decided it was time to update. :)

30 minutes later it finally recorded. Not sure what was done, I'm positive they don't know what they did to fix it either. He said he just turned everything off and on a few times and voila. I bet that's how they did the moon missions too. ;)

Sounds like a case of "Not ready for prime time"

Are you sure you weren't across the street watching. haha

Glad to see you guys are off to a good start. :laughings: ;)

That's one of the beauties of tracking to a tape deck...getting a cue mix ready and then simply hitting REC is much easiers, plus none of the latency issues, can make things more straightforward...of course, you then pay the price with limited track availability, and the RW/FW actions, since the tape deck doesn't have that instant recall capability of a DAW....
...but the tape rewinds give the drummer more time to waste. :p

Hey, where are you in the Big Bear area...?....any of the fires near you?

I can definitely appreciate the beauty of tape after today. I'm a computer guy (it's how I earn money sometimes) and so I've always dreaded my computer crapping out during a critical time, so I've always gone to lengths to make sure the thing works as best I can before that critical moment arrives. Not exactly the case today. Things ended up working... so that's good... but man was it painful to get there, especially with two people who have paid money are watching wondering what's going on.

And HOLY SHIT! The drummer really was a picky sob. Not about his own playing, but the guitarists. I wanted to slap him a couple times. He was funny though, so it redeemed him a little.

I might be too late with the advice...
The best thing you can do is make the band comfortable with the process. If you are able to get a great performance out of them, the only thing you have to do is stay out of the way and capture it. A half-assed recording of a great performance will work. A great recording of a half-assed performance will not.

We actually got some really good recordings of some pretty good performances. Pretty good might be selilng them short. They were better than any band I've ever been in as far as technical ability goes. The guys drum set was beautiful and sounded great. His pickiness (not a word spell check says) serves him well in the set up of his kit. The kick was awesome.

Maybe a chuckle because I have been there before. Many many years ago...Not so funny when you are older and have other stuff you could be doing.

Curious how it works out tho. :)

The takeaway from today revolves around time. After todays experience I can't Wait to get my own studio going. I'll have to because we are planning on moving twice in the next 2 years... but once settled it will be fun to set something up right. And when it's all setup right I will aim to get things done in good time. Man it KIlled me how many man hours were wasted today. The Lead guitarist and bassist didn't even need to be there today at all... yet spent the better part of 6 hours there. Just watching. The drummer and guitarist could have easily only been there 2 hours and got done what we did in 9. Blah...

My guess is that tomorrow will be eaten up by the rest of the tracking, so there will be no chance to flounder trying to mix in front of everyone. I'm planning on taking the files home with me and mixing it here, in my own time, without multiple people telling me another way of doing it. That was the hardest part of the day... listening to peoples ideas about stuff. Like 'hey what if we played that part like that?'.... 'but no, you were playing 2 flams there'... 'no I wasn't'... 'yes you were, play it back'... 'that's not 2 flams, it's an off timed roll'... 'but I thought when you did that...........

Shut the fuck up. It sounded good didn't it. "yes" Ok... moving on.

:)

I think I will really enjoy this 'job', once I get to do it my way.

Thanks again for the tips and continued support.

Oh, last thing. We tried to start the day using click tracks. OMG... you wouldn't believe (actually I'm sure you all would) the hassle that was. Trying to get peoples headphones to get a good mix. It was literally painful. The drummer needed the click to be BEYOND loud, and the way the guys were running the headphones there were not separate mixes for people, so the guitarist had the same levels in his phones... which was so loud... well when he was wearing his headphones, it still sounded LOUD to me 8 feet away. Then someone bumped a volume pedal and someone else decided to adjust the gain know on the board instead of fix the volume pedal. So when the headphones were on again the guitar was crazy loud, and instead of turn that down, they thought it would be good to turn the drums up to compete.... so that when the guys played they both blew each others ear off. It was so stupid. Reminded me of the movie UHF, with the asian guy... if you've seen it you'd know what I mean.

And to answer you miroslav, I'm in Crestline, about 40 minutes west of Big Bear. I'm not sure where the fires are, but they aren't too close. My neighbor was talking about them the other day, but we don't smell anything here which is a good sign. It's finally getting cold up here. Had to turn the pilot light on the heater on.

Happy weekend fellas (and ladies if any read this).

Do ladies do sound? Never heard or seen one.

I would love to actually be 'in control'. Someday.

Then you'll have to call youself a "producer". :)

Really though....the best thing you can do for them is TELL them what to do AFA the "mechanics" of the session, so they don't lose focus and everyone starts trying to run things.

Is there any one person who is the main creative driver...or do they do it all democratic-like?

The believe the board we have has the capacity to give everyone individual mixes. I'd just have to learn how to do it. Time to get on it.

From what you have said about the sudio I doubt thast is the case. You should only worry about 2 mixes; one for the main control room and a headphone mix for the band.

I still just do recordings for myself and friends but one thing I've learned to stress to anyone coming to record is to know your shit before you get here. Practice it with the band, practice it without the band. Hum it in the car, sing it to your boss, I don't give a shit just have it done. It's annoying to be trying to track a song while people are still trying to figure out what they want to play.

Nothing wrong with that in a session where that's all your doing. Playing some parts and playing back to find the best but when you are in "we gotta get an album recorded NOW" mode, that shit just kills time.

My guess is that tomorrow will be eaten up by the rest of the tracking, so there will be no chance to flounder trying to mix in front of everyone. I'm planning on taking the files home with me and mixing it here, in my own time, without multiple people telling me another way of doing it. That was the hardest part of the day... listening to peoples ideas about stuff. Like 'hey what if we played that part like that?'.... 'but no, you were playing 2 flams there'... 'no I wasn't'... 'yes you were, play it back'... 'that's not 2 flams, it's an off timed roll'... 'but I thought when you did that...........

Mind readers all of you.... either that or you've all done this before. :)

Yesterday actually went pretty smooth, now that I've experienced today. Damn man... all the stuff you guys just mentioned. My self appointed task for the day was to keep things running and keep everyone on track. The rhythm guitarist/ singer is the creative force. The lead guitarist just plays very small leads here and there in the songs. It's like he's barely part of the band. The drummer follows along, and also communicates differently than the other guys... and the bass player seems to be just a guy who can play bass and almost take instruction.

Yesterday the drums were done, then the rhythm guitars, so it was only today that the creative guy got to sit and listen to the tracks laid down. He had opinions about almost everything, asking if that's what it will sound like later... saying the toms are too loud... that one part sounds out of time... SHUT UP!!! We're trying to record a bass track man!

And that brings me to your point polarity... the bassist did NOT have his shit together. It was like Jerry Springer, not really that bad, but all this stuff was brought up. "I've been trying to tell you about that drum part for months"... "no you haven't"... "yes I have"... "wait which drum part".... etc etc. Then the drummer will come back and it's like a game of telephone. "He said you changed the drums"... "I didn't change the drums"... "I never said he changed the drums".... I had to interrupt a few times and refocus the recording session. Not that it helped much.

That was the talking... the playing was more of the same fumbling confusion, I thought you wanted this, no listen to me play it, I can't hear it because you aren't plugged in, OMG. We took at least an hour on one song recording the bass... and at the end of the hour I'm pretty sure the guitarist/ singer just played the bass anyways. I left before being able to witness.

So the score for today: 8 hours (before I left) Drums all done (done yesterday) Rhythm Guitar done (yesterday and today), Lead Guitars done, I'm guessing Bass done but not positive.

No vocals yet. Not sure when they plan on recording those.

My favorite part of the day was as I was packing up. I was going to take a copy of the wav files captured so far to clean them up a little. Just clean them up, no mixing or effects. The guitarist/singer about had a heart attack upon hearing that. I tried for 5 minutes to explain I didn't need all the tracks to clean things up. He didn't get it at all. I ended up just not taking them, because I didn't feel like fighting. Someone else can do it. :)

Also found out I'm was never planned to be a part of mixing. Lame. I'm going to get a copy of the files and mix them anyways. Then we can compare our mixes. I bet mine wins haha. We'll see I guess.

About headphone mixes, we never figures out how to get different ones. Whoever is lucky enough to have one of the 3 phones gets the same mix as the others.

You have more patience than I do.... :D

I don't mind working toward something...even if it's lots of work...
...but when people just haven't come prepared and/or they start debating about what's the right part/wrong part, etc...
...time to move on.

I'm sure you've only witnessed just the tip of the clusterfuck so far.
I hope they all sit together and try to mix as a band....that should be a lot of fun! :p

So....during your band weekend....I too was recording some tracks.
I go to the studio...pick up the bass, try out a few lines and do a couple of passes. I put the bass down, go upstairs, have some snacks, type a few posts on HR, check eBay....then I go back down and do a few more passes with the bass.
Then I go outside and waste about 15 minutes...come back, do a couple of more passes and tweak the bass lines.
By then, I feel like a cup of coffee...so I brew a cup, post some mor on HR while I'm waiting.
Finally I go back to the studio and this time do a few more passes and lay down a bass track.

:)

Then I come up and have dinner.

After that I'm backm in the studio ready to lay down some rhythm guitar tracks....so the above process starts all over again! :D
Have I mentioned that when I track, I don't like to.........rush things. ;)

Oh come on. It could have been worse. Just think if the band had to pass the bong around a couple of times between takes? Or a shot? Just thin how that wuld be after 8 hours? LOL.

About headphone mixes, we never figures out how to get different ones. Whoever is lucky enough to have one of the 3 phones gets the same mix as the others.

If you are using the studio live board you have the main plug up front that whoever is running the board uses. Then you have 4 auxes. Those 4 auxes are also on the left side of the board. hit the aux 1 button, then basically the fat channel becomes volume knobs. you turn up what channels you want that aux to hear. Do that until you have the levels set for each aux (1 -4 so they can have different mixes). Then make sure on the right side of the board you have the FX a and FX b clicked on the auxes and you should hear effects in the aux. Hope that helps

Back