Firebox New User Questions

HungPhat

my firebox finally arrived today and after some dilemma of installing it im ready to go (or so at least i think)

So...

- when installing the firebox cd windows xp says i did not pass the WINDOWS LOGO testing to verify its compability in xp...i clicked "continue anyway" as the manual says to...so im just wondering...does this matter???

- also my firebox mixer menu refuses to appear on the screen...even thou it appears as an icon and in the taskbar when activated ...how do i fix this??? and do i need this mixer as cubase le also has a mixer.

- input 1 and 2 channel (instrument/mic) both work with mics and guitar plugged direct.
the manual says that when an instrument is plugged into the instrument input, the mic preamp is bypassed and the firebox becomes an active instrument preamp.it then notes that active instruments are those that have an internal preamp of a line level output...and they should be plugged into the line inputs on the rear (input 3&4)
in other words dont plug an active instrument into channel 1 or 2

so...does that mean if that i want to plug a guitar into a vamp/POD into the firebox that i cant use input 1&2 and have to plug it into the rear inputs 3&4.

thanks so much for reading thru that...any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Don't worry about that Windows Logo Testing...it's just one of those things that Microsoft throws in there that they think is 'helpful'...there are very few, if any, interfaces that pass logo testing, yet they all work with Windows...anyway, your firebox will work with XP.

As long as you can physically adjust your input levels on the hardware itself, you probably don't need the firebox mixer...again, you have the mixer in Cubase.

I don't see why you can't use inputs 1 & 2 for line-level sources as long as you turn the level all the way down...it sounds like you've got the idea, though, so I'd go with what the manual says.

cool thanks for that...my computer is having a bit of a tanty with installing the software...cubase le seems to work fine...then when i open windows media player to watch videos and listen to mp3s then go back to open cubase it has a error report???
dont know if its related to wmp but i just deleted a shitload of video files that i dont use and installed LE for the fifth time...hopefully it will stay working!

also i cant seem to set my latency less than 10.0ms without cubase chucking a tanty and not recognising inputs...but at 10.0ms theres no delay in sound when i play guitar ...i guess i shouldnt be worried...but should it be set lower???

any other things i should check out or need to setup...its driving me nuts.

also is it better to power the firebox off the firewire cable or by its own power adaptor??? does it make any diffrence

cheers

I have experienced that a few times with Cubase LE...best work-around would be not to run any other programs while Cubase is running. It can be very demanding of RAM and CPU power, and depending on the specs of your computer, switching between programs can create a problem.

If you need to watch videos or listen to mp3's, you can import them directly into Cubase. See the manual that came on the CD for more info.

Obviously, the lower the latency the better, but if you don't notice the delay and it doesn't mess up your recordings, it should be fine how it is.

If you're using a desktop computer, it really doesn't matter how you power the Firebox. It's the notebook or laptop when you should be concerned, because it can be demanding on your battery.

Take a look at http://www.musicxp.net . They have some good tweaks to make XP perform better with audio applications.

the error im getting is that cubasele.exe has encounted and error and asks me to send error report over internet.

this only happens after "x" number of startups and shutdowns
i got a mate to burn me a copy of his cracked sx2 to see if that would work but i still get the same error cubasesx.exe has encounted error

cheers for that link...i as many of hte tune ups as possible to optimise my comp and have reinstalled my legit Le...hopefully it will STAY working for more than a day!

anyone experience this before???

Get the latest drivers from presonus

HungPhat said:
- when installing the firebox cd windows xp says i did not pass the WINDOWS LOGO testing to verify its compability in xp...i clicked "continue anyway" as the manual says to...so im just wondering...does this matter???

If you are using the Drivers off the CD, then more than likely there are newer drivers on www.presonus.com. You should check those out, perhaps they fixed the very bug that you're having with newer drivers. The windows certification thing is a ploy by microsoft to get hardware companies to pay extra to make there hardware pass windows logo testing and supposedly be "perfectly integrated" with windows. Almost no hardware companies want to pay the extra fee (because I've heard that it's very high), so with just about every piece of hardware you buy, probably 90% of them don't pass the windows logo test, yet still work, so once again, don't worry about that. Just get the latest drivers and see what that does.

just installed the drivers off that link.

mixer still doesnt want to appear on screen...but it appears in taskbar

hungphat, I am just curious what are your computer specs, I am considering buying a audio interface and my laptop is only a 2.0 ghz processor with 640 RAM, what are your specs on it?

its a dell optiplex 2600 pentium 4
2ghz
1gig ram

when cubase LE WAS working ...it was running fine.

im gonna try installing windows xp service pack 2 hopefully that i will solve my dilema

ok after installing service pack2 the mixer works now.yay

now gonna try reistalling cubase AGAIN...fingers crossed

Back