Finding replacement fader sliders

part12studios

hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and seeing that this is a mecha of recording / engineering types I wondered if anyone out there might know if there is some way to find replacement sliders for faders.

I have various parts I've tried but unfortunately the X-55's sliders are very stubby so they expect the slider to meet them down in the groove unlike many that stick out without a sider cover present.

13082779_10156892005740083_6982504623081916268_n.jpg

One plan of mine is to actually get a friend to 3D print me some replacements, but hey if I can find the real deal then that would be great. I imagine they are not generic enough to be found anywhere, but maybe there are places where sliders can be found.

Thanks,
Caleb

If you're looking for the electrical guts you're searching for a device called a slide potentiometer. Example here-

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...xqKIwpLoXg==&gclid=CMKE8pKr1cwCFQsPaQodEE4K8w

Unless you can find specific replacement parts for your specific device as you would buy Maytag repair parts for your Maytag washing machine you might have to resort to very detailed specsmanship in both mechanical and electrical characteristics.

Generally consumer electronics companies don't sell repair parts for their products. They just want you to buy a new box/product.

If you are looking for the plastic part with the right keywords you can find things that *might* work. ALPS 76521 Slide Potentiometer Fader Knob (L x W) 13 mm x 25 mm Grey from Conrad.com
Further study of your parts and the description is needed.

Last edited:
I believe the OP needs a fader knob that can reach down into the slot a bit, such as the one pictured below (maybe a longer reach needed). This was salvaged from a dead Samson mixer and in my junk knob drawer. The shaft of the fader is recessed below the slot.

Caleb... is this close to what you're looking for?

Attachments

• fader knob.jpg
    fader knob.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 6
  • fader knob 2.jpg
    fader knob 2.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 4
wow that's a cool looking sight.. i might need something like that for my Akai S612.. but it's even older than the 4 track..

yea to be more clear.. you see the 3 sliders in the picture above? They all have "caps" that's what i'm looking for that are missing on the other two. the fader itself (the part that slides up and down) is fine.. its just hard to reach down there and grab the tip.. unlike a b-jillion other faders where there is a stick that is raised without a cap. I have some caps I can probably make work with it but they will look ugly is all.. :)

@arcaxis actually i think I have those exact or darn near identical ones i was saying might work but not original.. one sec.. let me take some pics and compare..

Thanks,
Caleb

yea to be more clear.. you see the 3 sliders in the picture above? They all have "caps" that's what i'm looking for that are missing on the other two. the fader itself (the part that slides up and down) is fine.. its just hard to reach down there and grab the tip.. unlike a b-jillion other faders where there is a stick that is raised without a cap. I have some caps I can probably make work with it but they will look ugly is all.. :)

@arcaxis actually i think I have those exact or darn near identical ones i was saying might work but not original.. one sec.. let me take some pics and compare..

I was reading your description like the electrical engineer I am. A fader is a functional item on an electronic box. A control which has a knob and potentiometer makes up the fader. If it were me I'd be taking the top cover off and having a really good close look at the physical arrangement.
(But I'd also really wish I just had the right knob to stick down the hole and make it an easy fix.) Did that company make other gear that could be bought as eBay salvage?

I've bought a couple of parts from a place that scavenged components from radio scanners. So perhaps there is someplace like Arcaxis' used musical electronics emporium??? And they'll sell you a knob off their junkpile?

Worst case would be figuring out the specs of the potentiometer and buying a new one then removing the old one and installing the new one with the new type knob. Lots of trouble down that road though.

ok so here are the ones i have.. which are very similar to yours.. they are a little to narrow.. i tried to file one of them down the middle to basically have it "pinch" the fader, but my crude attempt just ended up screwing up the slider cap.. i have 3 more to practice on but yea it was really about getting the exact one..

View attachment 96983View attachment 96982

I'm not looking to sell it, but I figured if I did it would be nice to have the originals rather than some superglued frankensliders :) however it is what it is.. I recently opened it up and deoxit'd all the knobs/sliders on the X-55.. nice and quiet again, oh minus the tape hiss for days.. :)

yea i see your point @ronbert about those options but yea that's heavy handed for my skill set / budget / dedication :) It's working 100%.. i'm purely doing this to make those two sliders easier to work with.. and i if could get identical ones.. awesome. yea salvage / parts somewhere.. just no idea where to look.

now the S612.. that's one i might seriously consider replacing the sliders IF an identical one could be identified.. but seeing that the S612 was made in 1985.. i'm pretty sure it's slider would be very difficult to find. but that's another thread and i guess another forum since this is recording stuff.. :)

so interesting.. i found this listing Fostex Multitracker x 77 No Power Supply Missing 8 Knobs Lightly Used Clean | eBay

I emailed the guy to see if he'd be willing to sell me two of those for $20.. considering the unit has no power.. no prospects.. i think that's a generous offer. I could have tried for less but i'd rather just offer a fair price and be done with it. I know it's not the exact same model but i'm 99% sure those are identical parts.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks! :)
Caleb

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
well the guy said no.. but i told him the offers on the table if he fails to find a buyer of the powerless / knob missing x-77..

that's awesome thanks for the tip! I will definitely give that a shot! I figure it wasn't an unpopular product and even several generations shared the same pieces. I'll report back!

Thanks,
Caleb

they didn't have the part. they did the research. fostex hasn't carried those parts for many many years.

I have since made the modification to a couple of non-matching sliders that happen to be a close fit.. using a soldering iron i was able to widen them just a little and with a touch of superglue they should stay in place for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!
Caleb

Sorry it didn't work out.
But it actually did in that you now have a small victory under your belt that required some creativity.

Thanks for letting us know the conclusion to the adventure!

Back