Final Volumes

xTbs

Hey everyone, so Ive been working and working on some songs, and Ive noticed that my final volume of the song is substantially quieter than that of your everyday off the shelf from HMV cd. Ive been very mindful not to clip so once I have my mix done I would bring my total mix volume up to where it just start clipping and back it off a fraction. Then when I go to master it, I make sure to run a limiter on the whole thing, which significantly brings the volume up but its still very quiet in comparison. what else could I do to improve the volume of the song?

Everyone does something different and the mastering chain will be varied for everyone. What I do, personally, is bounce the .wav from the .song with the peaks at about -8 db. Then in the mastering suite, I run an EQ followed by a compressor. The compressor is set to attack as fast as it can and the threshold is so high that it only takes a db or so from the loudest parts, but if your mix is pretty balanced, it might be trimming constantly from the track. That helps to catch the loudest stuff before you limit it.

But again, that's specific for my stuff. A compressor might hurt your tune. It might not. Try it and see if you like it. Make sure to use the output or makeup gain on the compressor to add some volume from what it takes out. Then try limiting after that. Truthfully, it all starts with your mix and the balance between instruments. This post from me is assuming that part is under control.

There is no reason to bring the mix up to just below clipping before you start mastering. The mastering limiter can do that.

There is only so much limiting that any mix can take before it starts to sound bad. If your mix starts falling apart before you get the volume you need out of it, you need to change the mix.

Most of the time, there is one of two things that are keeping you from getting the volume you need.

1. Too much dynamics. For example, an uncontrolled snare that peaks 12db above the mix will have to be beat back by the limiter so much that the sound of the snare will change and you will probably hear the limiter pump.

2. Too much low end. If the low end is in the limiter too much, it will affect the balance of the mix. Besides, midrange and hi end sound louder. The brighter the mix, the louder it will seem. (Of course, it's easy to make it harsh sounding)

Well I took off my automation that i had, re mixed the song, then when i went to mastering i tweaked the compression as well as the limiter and was able to get the volume up significantly

Well I took off my automation that i had, re mixed the song, then when i went to mastering i tweaked the compression as well as the limiter and was able to get the volume up significantly

good. the compressor can catch those peaks first, but use your ears. It can easily bludgeon the track if it isn't applied gently.

I tend to run my drums to a bus and compress them. I also do this with bass, vocals and any other percussive instrument. I do it mostly because I like the sound of compression, but one of the happy side effects is nothing really gets too far out of line. This makes it easier to get volume out of it during mastering.

However I do mostly metal, so that sound is appropriate for the genre.

And FYI, I'd listen to Farview. That compression suggestion I gave actually came from him awhile back.

Follow what Jay/Farview said...he knows what he's talking about and has plenty of real-world, hands-on experience from recording a lot of bands over the years in his studio.

I'll just add that you get better results if you can boost the level in 2-3 stages, rather than trying to do it all at once, in a big way...so like, you start off with the good tracks, good arrangements, that allow a solid mix...and you bump key tracks up to give that higher level feel to the song...then when you mix, you can add some more at the stereo bus...and finally when the stereo mix gets mastered, there's yet one more stage...and speaking of mastering, the pros really know how to get the level up without destroying the mix, and they also have very specialized tools for that, which is why the commercial stuff always seems out of reach to many home rec guys.

That is true. In reality, I will compress drums on the track level and then again at the drum bus. It does end up being pretty controlled, but like I said, I compress for the sound of the compression. The dynamic control is just a byproduct.

I compress for the sound of the compression. The dynamic control is just a byproduct.

Yeah...same here.
I don't use them specifically for the volume boost aspect...it's more about what they do to shape the tone and the ambience in the track, and how things shift, like a snare coming forward or further back, etc.

For pure extreme peak taming...I still do a lot of that manually, peak by peak...which leaves everything else in the waveform untouched. Once the peaks are tamed...it's easy to bring everything up in overall level.

Ill give all of that a try, Im using cubase 7 and have a ton of plugins installed for limiters, compressor, eq, etc. and the drums I will admit are midi programs done by easy drummer then run through with a realistic drum sound.

Back