File recorded, but won't play

Gregorich

Hi guys,

It's my first time posting on the forum and I've got myself in a bit of trouble. I recorded a file on my recorder yesterday and when I took it off the memory card and tried to play it, nothing happened. I uploaded it and the file size was 61mb and as I was recording I kept checking my levels and everything was perfect. For whatever reason, it's just not playing.
I use a Roland R-05 wave/mp3 recorder and the memory card is a Toshiba SD 2gb card. The card had plenty of space and I've never had a single issue with the recorder in the four years I've owned it. I recorded something five minutes before and about an hour afterwards and both files were perfect. The batteries were all good as well. I tried opening the file on Audicity and iTunes and nothing works. When I try listening to it on the recorder, it plays for one second and stops. I've never run into this before. Given the size of the file and that it was recording, something clearly saved.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to save this file?
Thanks!!!

From what you describe it seems that the systems are all in order.

Do you still have the file on the SD card, like, as it was recorded?

What happens when you play that? Is that the one that just goes for a few seconds?

Had you played it all once having recorded it? Or was the upload the first chance you had to listen (and it wouldn't play)?

The problem and its solution are not apparent yet.

Do you have another card? Try recording onto that and see if you can replicate the problem.

You can also try a program such as ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) to try and restore the data, because I suspect the file has been corrupted somehow.

I fixed it. I have no idea how it worked, but it did. :)
I got in-touch with a friend of a friend who's good with audio and he took a look at it. He ran a program on it, I can't remember the name, but that didn't work. He ran a check on the card, but everything was good and there wasn't damage to the recorder.
Ultimately, using the recorder instead of a computer, he went to the recording in question and hit the finder button. From there, he selected the file and looked at the information. The file was 60mb, but there wasn't any sound. He went back through finder and there was an option to 'repair file'. We did that three times until it fixed it. The recording's a bit garbled at times, but I only needed part of it.
He had no idea why it worked all of a sudden or how it failed to work after being recorder, but hey, as long as it works!

Back