Feedback/ringing sound from ride cymbal? (help please, THANKS)

thelucidnight

Hello to all,

It's been years since I posted on this forum and I do not even remember the login information to my old account so here I am starting fresh with this one!

Does anyone know what this issue may be? I am using the Shure PG mic set for the drums. I am using a couple of PG-81's for the overheads. I don't know what is causing this but there is some really annoying ringing/feedback coming from the ride cymbal. It's probably more of a ringing sound than feedback, but I am not sure what the culprit to this problem is. I tried adjusting the height from the mics to the cymbals and nothing seems to help. I am either an amateur or below amateur level. The interface I am using is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it :)

TLN - Troubleshooting Sample by Lucid Night | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks!

-Nick

Last edited:
Post a clip indeed. However my first thought before even reading your post is that Ride cymbals DO have a ringing tone which can be accentuated by microphone position. It might be as simple as move your overhead mics a bit.

Hello to all,

It's been years since I posted on this forum and I do not even remember the login information to my old account so here I am starting fresh with this one!

Does anyone know what this issue may be? I am using the Shure PG mic set for the drums. I am using a couple of PG-81's for the overheads. I don't know what is causing this but there is some really annoying ringing/feedback coming from the ride cymbal. It's probably more of a ringing sound than feedback, but I am not sure what the culprit to this problem is. I tried adjusting the height from the mics to the cymbals and nothing seems to help. I am either an amateur or below amateur level. The interface I am using is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks! -Nick
Could be. I had one occasion where -it took a while trouble shooting going WFTF? where's that feedback coming from'. No, it was one of those 'tube tom rack setups ringing like crazy. Had to go out in the room and have him whacking the snare, and grab the right tube to find it. He'd never noticed it before.
Stuff that gets by live.. that sticks out in recording :)

Un... I dunno ? Do you have other tips. One can affect the sound quite a bit from just where one is playing. I've been shopping for a ride and It's hard to get a good clip of what the bell can do - most suck

Back