EZDrummer 2

sparky123

are there any good videos that show how to edit ,copy and paste, duplicate, etc.. Non drummer here ,having a hard time how to figure this EZ thing out.

Have you asked on the Toontrack forums...?
I'm sure that's where you will get the most help with EZD.

Also...if you are looking for full-tilt editing capabilities...Superior Drummer is better for that than EZ Drummer.
EZD has some capabilities...but it's more for the people who want to spend minimal time editing and reconfiguring...and just take the drum and mix presets at face value.

I can't give you EZD specifics...I'm and SD user. I switched from EZD several years ago when it was still EZD1...and never looked back. I think I used EZD for like a couple of weeks and quickly realized that SD was more flexible.

What DAW are you using this in?

To edit one of the loops in EZD2, drag it to the player window where you can adjust # of hits per 'instrument' (snare, hi-hat, etc). To edit the loop in your DAW, typically you would double-click it (that's how it works in Reaper to open the MIDI edit window).
'Copy & paste' is the same as 'duplicate. If your DAW is in Windows CTRL-C after right clicking will copy, CTRL-V will paste (EZD2 will paste wherever you have the pointer on the timeline). You can just 'grab and drag' the edge of a loop once it's in your DAW timeline and it will extend as far as drag.

I don't use EZD, so I scrounged around YouTube and found plenty to watch.

Here's a good, short video for tweaking a very basic groove into what you need. Still need to drag it into your DAW's piano roll editor for fine tuning.

YouTube

I had a demo of EZD many moons ago and when I came to uninstall it there was a shedload of ***t in the registry!

I have (never use now!) BFD Eco, sounds ok to me? Mind I have yet to see what goodies lurk in my Samplitide Pro X3 bargain!

Dave.

I think the Toontrack Holiday Sale is still ongoing for a few more days.

SD3 is about $420 straight up.
I paid around $200 to upgrade from SD2 back in September.
I think it's about $320 to crossgrade from EZD...but you're gonna know where the money went. :)
Not saying everyone needs SD3, but it is right now THE best drum application out there. They made HUGE changes/improvements from SD2, and added killer new features....plus it comes with a great sound library to start.
Plus...you can use all you EZ Drummer EZX packs with SD3, along with the SDX packs....so if you have a bunch of EZX packs already, they won't go to waste.

Here you go...Sweetwater has an even better crossgrade price...$299

Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 Crossgrade from EZ Drummer 2.0 | Sweetwater

I have never tried SD, but I suspect its a lot more difficult to learn if you don't already have EZD or other virtual drum experience.

I only used EZD1 maybe a couple of times...just to try it out, and immediately switched to SD.
Learning SD was actually pretty easy. You can use it at "face value" much the same way as EZD if you don't want to dig deeper...but IMO, for any one who wants to approach sampled drums the same way one would actually record a drum session in the studio...SD is the way to go, and having the ability to use it that way, is what makes it fairly easy...intuitive. Sure, everything has a learning curve, but the power of SD compared to EZD, is not proportional to its complexity.
SD3 is very well thought out, and it's extensive features is what makes it more enjoyable...you can do what you want.

I think EZD2 was a big improvement over the original EZD1, which was actually frustrating, because you couldn't work the kits with as much detail, where with EZD2 there is more...but neither come close to the power or flexibility of SD.

Before SD...I remember trying to sequence drums back in the early '90s...and it was real tedious. I wish we had SD back then.

BFD Eco gives you 'grooves' a sequence of drums etc of many different genres but (afaik) you can edit these, change individual kit and tempos.

Dave.

I had a demo of EZD many moons ago and when I came to uninstall it there was a shedload of ***t in the registry!

I have (never use now!) BFD Eco, sounds ok to me? Mind I have yet to see what goodies lurk in my Samplitide Pro X3 bargain!

Dave.

I do believe there are a couple of good drum plug ins tucked away in the depths there.

I'm a non drummer too -- and even after a few years with EZDrummer, I still get frustrated with creating realistic drums loops -- though learning the actual program is relatively easy once you get used to the interface. But I just don't think like a drummer, and that is what it is. But I HATE loops -- they're the bane of my musical existence. lol There's a bunch of videos on yt explaining how EZDRUMMER works and there are some cool features. Too much to explain here. However, rarely, if ever, do I find a groove straight out of the box that fits with my song. I guess the raw loops could work -- but I'm a real stickler for bass drum and bass lining up, even though I don't play drums. also a lot of the loops are overplayed for my tastes, but then again, you don't want a loop so simple that it sounds obviously fake. And you can tone the loops down to taste in the ezdrummer window. My workflow has varied from song to song, but once I get a groove I can work with, it's not long before I import it to Logic -- which is what I use -- so I can fine tune it. I find it cumbersome to keep the loops in EZdrummer once I've got something to work with. It's hard for me to navigate. That's also where there's more potential trouble, at least for me. The drums are solid, well played and the velocity is usually on the mark -- so often I find myself wondering what makes me think I can make them any better, since I"m not a drummer. Having said that, I usually do as little as possible editing wise, just enough to customize the loop to my song.....Usually with kick drums beats. I have found that if I start messing too much with velocity and snare ghost notes and fills, quantizing -- then I am just applying my poor drumming skills to what was otherwise a decent loop. Besides, it is what it is -- a loop. Trying to make it more complicated than that usually just ends in frustration. Another thing: I'm not very good at this, but it's always better to build the song around the loop, rather than the other way around. Hope that helps, and I look forward to hearing your stuff!!

google "recording revolution" and ezdrummer. it's a good recording mixing site and he explains things very well.

I had some difficulty with my current drum kit earlier today, so I looked around for the EZ 2. Many have it either boxed or as a download for $149, but I see Sweetwater is throwing in 1 free EZX Expansion (Jazz Kit would be my choice). I'm tempted.. :listeningmusic:

Back