Exporting multitrack from Alesis Blackface ADAT

john_linger

Hello. I'm new here so please forgive me if this has been asked on here before. I've recently acquired a blackface ADAT and I was wondering if there was a way if exporting or rendering each separate track at the same time to a laptop.

Any help would be gratefully received.

John

From memory, the Blackface has a choice of outputs but any of them will need an appropriate multichannel interface.

I think the basic jacks on the back provide 8 unbalanced outputs which could go directly to any interface with 8 unbalanced line level inputs.

There would also be a big multipin connector (an ELCO I think) which would give the same 8 outputs but balanced if your soldering skills are up to making up a breakout cable--again to an 8 channel interface.

Finally, there should be a fibre optic output which could go direct to any interface with an ADAT in.

(Of course, it's worth saying that if you have an 8 channel interface, I'm not sure what you'd gain by recording on the ADAT then dubbing into your computer...you could just go straight into your laptop.)

Well.... it was really to transfer each track separately to my computer so I can mix from the program. The ADAT has 8 ins/outs and the laptop only has two...

There are lots of USB interfaces out there that would let you transfer all 8 at once, either in analogue or via a TOSLINK fibre in ADAT.

I'd be a bit careful about transferring your tracks one at a time--timing drift could become an issue unless each track is fairly short. There ARE cheaper 1 and 2 channel USB interfaces but, unless you know you can maintain sync, it could be wasted money to go that route.

Back