An exam: The history of sampling

NorwegianGnome

A newb from Norway here, first post. I did a search and found no thread related to this so I think I'm in the clear when I ask:

Does anyone have any good sources for the most important technological advances regarding sampling? I'm very much interested in anything relating to the 80s and 90s, as the period I'm focusing on is 1990 - 1995 (This is the requirement of the exam itself).

As far as I can tell the advent of (Digital) sampling was first through horribly expensive and demanding hardware such as the Fairlight CMI-series. Then there came smaller and cheaper samplers, but I'm also interested in various DAWs and other software that offered similar capabilities at the start of the 90s. Just general sources regarding innovations that were important would be greatly appreciated! What was the first decent 16-bit sampler, for instance? What separates the different samplers from each other and makes some better than others, and thus more widely used?

I don't remember seeing much on the History aspect. As Mr. T would say; "What kind a Fool sample 16" ? I'm not sure I got my head around Sample and Hold : ) The Ensoniq Mirage is '84. and my Akai s2000 is '95 - still good for 8-bit. I'd read about what was cool about the Mirage and stack that up against your time frame

I am old enough to remember a sampler on the BBC science programme Tomorrows World. IIRC they took a single note sung by a presenter and played a tune with it. Might have been Three Blind Mice!

So yes, SoS but the BBC might be worth investigating as well.

Dave.

Most of the Electronica buyers were mostly interested in the filters and how bent things can get - the synth engine stuff available onboard the unit. Sampling, by itself, is kinda ho-hum.

I see Karl Bartos of Kraftwerk used his Moog samples along side the Moog - synth layering.

The straight Mellotron-type usage is of great utility, but .....zzzzzz

Back