European Mic Stands

I am in OZ, and we use both. Pain in the backside but at least we only really have 2 standards (oxymoron) I keep a box of adaptors in the studio. Some things in life have multiple standards. Railway line gauges spring to mind. And lets not talk about headphone jacks, and the fact that the USA still used inches, pounds, gallons, miles, etc etc, when most of the World is metric.

Alan.

Hi all,

Quick question, do most people in Europe use mic stands with 3/8inch or 5/8 inch threads?

Thanks!

3/8" is the standard - the horrible 5/8" thread is a US thing.

You never see 5/8" thread stands in Europe, unless it's a US make (eg: Latch Lake) and then you will normally find a 3/8" adaptor permanently on the end (like I do with my Latch Lake).

3/8" is the standard - the horrible 5/8" thread is a US thing.

You never see 5/8" thread stands in Europe, unless it's a US make (eg: Latch Lake) and then you will normally find a 3/8" adaptor permanently on the end (like I do with my Latch Lake).

Just curious why you say the 5/8" thing is horrible. :)

I am also confused tho. Isn't the metric system the standard type of measurement over there? How is 3/8" even a standard there?

I am sincerely just curious. :)

Meter is the standard but the UK seems to be caught somewhere inbetween listening to their cooler, younger brother (USA) and being traditionalists when it comes to all kinds of measurement. People here seem to transition fluently between kilometers, miles, liters, pints, feet and meters.

Meter is the standard but the UK seems to be caught somewhere inbetween listening to their cooler, younger brother (USA) and being traditionalists when it comes to all kinds of measurement. People here seem to transition fluently between kilometers, miles, liters, pints, feet and meters.

I am from Nebraska farm country and have no clue as to what a 'bushel' is...

As so often happens, I find myself disagreeing with John. In my 35 years working in the UK (and on locations all over Europe) I saw more 5/8 inch stands than 3/8 inch but basically had to carry a small tub of adaptors because, unless I carried my own everywhere, I had to be ready for either.

And yeah, the UK is technically metric but tons of stuff is still done in the old system--pints of beer, 19 inch racks, 5/8 inch mic stands, most road signs, etc. etc.

I too have found that the 5/8 is the most common size now even when in Europe. But you get things like the old 421 mic holders that have 3/8 threads (new ones now have 5/8) and some of my older stands have the old 3/8 threads.

From Wikipedia:

The commonly used screw threads are:
⅝″ 27 threads per inch (tpi) Unified Straight thread (UNS, U.S. and the rest of the world)
¼″ BSW (uncommon in the U.S., used in the rest of the world)
⅜″ BSW (uncommon in the U.S., used in the rest of the world)

I think that the 3/8 and the 1/4 would have come from using a standard bolt thread size, BSW is very common around the world, where the 5/8 27 tpi is a special. However over the years the industry have found the 5/8 27 tpi a good size to use.

Alan.

Last one I bought was 3/8 and I also have a box of adaptors...

And just because you "go metric" doesn't mean you change everything that already exists Jimmy! No-one was going to call the 3/8 fitting the 9.525mm fitting just because they went metric (and we're way more metric than the UK is) ... or insist that a new 10mm microphone fitting be invented... although I'm sure the manufacturers wouldn't mind.... :laughings:

Last one I bought was 3/8 and I also have a box of adaptors...

And just because you "go metric" doesn't mean you change everything that already exists Jimmy! No-one was going to call the 3/8 fitting the 9.525mm fitting just because they went metric (and we're way more metric than the UK is) ... or insist that a new 10mm microphone fitting be invented... although I'm sure the manufacturers wouldn't mind.... :laughings:

Then buy the NEW! 5/8 to 10mm adaptor or was that the 3/8 to 10mm adaptor :facepalm:

I once sent a newbie assistant off to find me some 6.35mm to 1/4 inch TRS adaptors...kept him busy for hours!

As perhaps one of the oldest forumites here I can tell all you noobs that for microphone mounting ..It was ever thus!
In UK most mics were either home grown, STC, Reslo, Audax, Grampian or imports from the states. Then Japan started making them. Yes, some were outright US copies but they soon developed their own styles but kept to US fittings. The only recourse for the PA/Recordist was, as now, a bag of brass bits!

But I shall now commit the ultimate Old Fart sin and say "You young 'uns don't know you're born!"
In addition to multiple stand fitting (more than now iirc) the audio connectors were almost peculiar to mic maker! Thus a Reslo had a male 3pin that LOOKED like an XLR (or "Cannon" as they were then called) but wasn't . Grampians had two 3mm wide slits at 90dgrs and just about everybody else "rolled their own"!

Just to add to all the audio conn' confusion we also had to cope with 7 different mains sockets and a supply that could be anything from 200 to 250 volts depending on where you were in the country.

But! Back to modern mic stands. Thomann do a vast range and for the home recordist I see no point in paying for "pro" quality stands? Also, look for the 1/2 sized stands? Just right for fronting an amp or seated acoustic guitar. They also come with a heavy flat base about 600x400mm instead of splayed legs and these are dead handy in the cramped space of most projjy studio bedrooms. Mic mounts that "G" clamp to a table are also useful and cheap.

Dave.

As perhaps one of the oldest forumites here I can tell all you noobs that for microphone mounting ..It was ever thus!
In UK most mics were either home grown, STC, Reslo, Audax, Grampian or imports from the states. Then Japan started making them. Yes, some were outright US copies but they soon developed their own styles but kept to US fittings. The only recourse for the PA/Recordist was, as now, a bag of brass bits!

But I shall now commit the ultimate Old Fart sin and say "You young 'uns don't know you're born!"
In addition to multiple stand fitting (more than now iirc) the audio connectors were almost peculiar to mic maker! Thus a Reslo had a male 3pin that LOOKED like an XLR (or "Cannon" as they were then called) but wasn't . Grampians had two 3mm wide slits at 90dgrs and just about everybody else "rolled their own"!

Just to add to all the audio conn' confusion we also had to cope with 7 different mains sockets and a supply that could be anything from 200 to 250 volts depending on where you were in the country.

But! Back to modern mic stands. Thomann do a vast range and for the home recordist I see no point in paying for "pro" quality stands? Also, look for the 1/2 sized stands? Just right for fronting an amp or seated acoustic guitar. They also come with a heavy flat base about 600x400mm instead of splayed legs and these are dead handy in the cramped space of most projjy studio bedrooms. Mic mounts that "G" clamp to a table are also useful and cheap.

Dave.

Granddad... is that you?:eek::laughings:

Dave.

I have a mix. (Pun intended)

For large LDC mics with a pop screen, a heavy duty stand can be preferable. If you ever use an sE Reflexion filter (as I do sometimes), it moves from "preferable" to "essential". Things like K&M seem expensive to start with but they do last forever (literally since you can buy spare parts for them).

However, I also have quite a few "cheapies"...a few from Maplin in my UK days and a bunch I found on eBay here in Aus at "six stands for $79", These cheapies are actually pretty solid and can hold a heavy mic okay--the only issue I have is that the knobs are plastic and prone to cracking if they bump something while you stack them or whatever.

...and all my stands...K&M, Maplin Cheapie and Aussie Cheapie are 5/8 inch thread, as are all my mic clips (though some of the latter came with 3/8" adaptor inserts).

It is a pain, especially the adapters down to ⅜ that only have slots on one end, so they put a perfectly good mic clip out of action.

Measurements wise, we are a mess. Gyprock wall board is in metric 1.2 x 2.4 size, but MDF comes in 1.22 x 2.44 as it's still 8 x 4!!! We all buy fuel for our cars in litres but our car tells us we are doing 45 miles per gallon! In college you ask the students what measurements you want to talk in and half will say inches half will have no idea what an inch is, yet we talk in miles! Railway people and cricketers talk in lengths of chains, and as for cooks, their measuring jugs have so many scales it's confusing. Litres, cups, fluid ounces, even gils. Pecks and bushels are worth googling. At least money is now sensible, with metric systems like the US, who for once didn't copy us with a pound formerly have 240 pennies, or 20 shillings, let alone another term like Guinnea that was one pound, one shilling as in our modern one pound and five pence!

For what it's worth, I'd estimate 95% of my stands are 3/8th with just a few, that look identical, with 5/8th

It's large and a very fine thread.

It's easy to get stuck and jammed.

Many people make adaptors, etc. out of poor material.

I have had many many problems with the 5/8" thread, but none with the 3/8" thread.

I am also confused tho. Isn't the metric system the standard type of measurement over there? How is 3/8" even a standard there?

The metric standard is relatively new - the 3/8" standard became the standard long before the metric standard was introduced.

The 3/8" thread is a course thread and you never have problems with it.

Actually - the perfect standard would be the 1/2" thread - this also has a course thread and is the one Neumann supply their mics with as standard and the thread that K&M use on their large stands that are designed to take a heavy boom arm.

This 1/2" thread is course and capable of taking heavy weights without problems.

I am sincerely just curious. :)

No. In the UK we have a wonderful range of Metric, Imperial and US standards, that we are fluent in. Thats we are the best at stuff... Queue gerg and the jingoistic post..;)

All my mics stands and threads have the 5/8 and I have a bunch 3/8 of adapters. Comes from years ago when we would share the stand with touring bands and none of their gear fitted.

Are you guys still using the horrible Inches and 10th's system that was about when I did my Aerospace wood shop apprenticeship? (more than 35 years ago now).

Lots of machine drawings got misread back then....

Back