Establishing communications between booth and music room?

VDeGou

Hey guys, quick question here. And for those that have seen me here for the past couple of days, sorry for being a pain in the ass :facepalm:

My question, what is the most efficient (and preferably cheapest) way of establishing communications between my recording booth and my music room?

I will be equipped with a Mackie Blackbird interface, but all of the 8 analog inputs will be used up with drum mics.
I will have a Rolls PM50S Personal Monitor Amplifier System for easy volume adjusting when playing drums and listening to a track. How would I go about hooking up the microphone from inside the booth to the Rolls? Or is there a better way?

I was thinking of getting one of those cables that are split at one of the ends, so I can plug in two sources and send them to one device, that way I would get my tracks sent from my interface and the sound engineer's voice sent from somewhere else which I'm not entirely sure where that would be from yet.

Also, if anybody has ever used a personal monitor amplifier, I'm not aware of all of its functions. Basically all I know is I can send an output from an interface with the tracks that I want to hear and through the Rolls I can easily adjust the volume. I'm aware there are other functions but I'm not quite understanding them. If anybody could put them in layman's terms for me, I would be very grateful!

thanks guys!

Looks like you can listen to the sound engineer (mic) and one line level track. There is also a mic pass through so I guess the next guy can listen to the recording engineer also? The ground lift button reduces hum from ground loop problems. There is also an extra headphone jack (smaller size jack).

Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Image - PM50s

Seems that you could run a mic input to the Rolls for talking through. But the issue may come up with feedback if you are monitoring from the room the mic is in.

I am not really clear as to what your situation is, or how the unit works. So I am just speculating here.

Actually, where is your interface, and which room are you wishing to hear from? Maybe I am confused here...

Not sure of the room terminology here, is the recording booth the control room and the music room the recording room?

You can hear the Musicians talking through the mics in the room via your monitors. Why don't you knock up a cheap talk back system using and old hifi (amp and speakers) or a cheap powered speaker in the recording room and a switchable mic in the control room so you can talk to them. You may need a check mic pre to get the right line level signal for what you use. Better still a small PA system would do it.

Cheers
Alan.

Neighhh! Snort!!

That's is the Hobby Horse a'galloping out! Said it before...This Home Recording game is pretty simple (to do, not do well) so long as you have "stock" situations and stock kit but as soon as one or the other is found wanting the noob is lost.

Don't want to boast but to anyone who has been in recording a few years, setting up a basic Talk Back system is childs play (actually you COULD use a baby monitor!) .

All that is need is a TB mic, preamp and an amp/speaker or headphone feed in the other room, in this case a booth. The point has been made that of course a mic>speaker>mic>speaker will form a feedback loop and howl its nuts off. Solution? A simple relay interlock.....Simple for ME I agree but that is the reason this is a HHorse reply. IF you want to progress past mic, pc, guitar in the same room you gotta LEARN this suff!

Dave.

I just use a spare mic stuck in to a spare channel on the mixer and dial it into the headphone mixes. Oh, wait, mixers aren't good for recording so disregard that.

Back