EQ sound without a DAW

Yowazzup

Is it possible to EQ sounds without having a DAW (using iMac 2009)

For example, If I'm watching a video that I can't download and the audio in it has a particular frequency that sounds harsh to my ears, Is there an application/plugin out there that would make it possible for me to remove the unwanted sound without downloading the song and opening it in a DAW?

Thanks

Your media player should have an audio control section including EQ in it. Windows Media Player does, but you have to search for it in the 'advanced settings'.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the video cannot be downloaded so I can't eq it or change any settings.

Is it possible to EQ sounds without having a DAW (using iMac 2009)

For example, If I'm watching a video that I can't download and the audio in it has a particular frequency that sounds harsh to my ears, Is there an application/plugin out there that would make it possible for me to remove the unwanted sound without downloading the song and opening it in a DAW?

Thanks

Yeah, media players generally have eq but that's no good if you're streaming in your browser.

This is purely for live listening pleasure, right?
There's an app called boom that will give you gain and eq for global system audio output.
It's $5 or something. Very very handy! Easy to bypass.
I saved a preset in it for when I'm using my bose dock via bluetooth. It's very bassy! :(
It's certainly the simplest option - I'd go with it.

As an aside, you can use Apple AU lab for custom processing. Not strictly relevant but why not.....

It's a bit of a footer to set up but you can save presets with certain ins/outs/effects etc.
I use it for teamspeak when gaming. I have a preset file saved which takes my mic input, eqs and comps it, then sends it to soundflower output.
Teamspeak/steam/skype are all told to take input from soundflower.
It's just an extra double click, really, once it's first set up.

*Soundflower is a free virtual routing app. You could achieve the same thing with hardware I/O.

Edit. Just read Clean's link.
They've used soundflower in combination with aulab to achieve the same thing Boom does for free.
System audio set to soundflower out, aulab set to receive from soundflower in, custom effects set, aulab set to output to main 1+2. Sorted. :)

If you're running your audio through a mixer (probably not likely if you don't have a DAW, but worth a shot at asking) you can EQ it at the board.

I run a PreSonus Studio Live 16.4.2 AI at my house. There's been lots of times I'll be listening to a video and the voice is just too boomy or really harsh. I just use the A/B setting on the EQ section to setup an EQ for when I'm watching those videos, then switch back over to turn it off for when I'm mixing and need it flat again.

Otherwise, the software option Mr Clean gave is likely your best (and cheapest) bet!

Re not being able to save a video? I have a small box (Portta--HDMI Cable HDMI Switch HDMI Splitter) cost about £15 that takes an HDMI signal and converts it to stereo audio and PAL i video which can be recorded on anything that can handle said signals. I run it into a Freeview HDD recorder but I see no reason why it would not work with a USB device such as the Dazzle?

Bit of a faff I agree but the quality seems every bit as good as the original. In my case I can then simple burn a DVD.

Dave.

Back