ensoniq audio card question

beaverbiscuit

Hey y'all, first time post at this here wonderful site. Finally had time to register and get down to business. . . which I shall now do!

I'm assembling a modest PC-based recording setup based around Sonar XL. I have a Delta 66 and was going to buy a SB Live for MIDI. Someone at the place where I'm temping dropped an Ensoniq Audio PCI card in my lap to take home.

"Cool," I thought, "this will save me from buying the extra card." But I couldn't find anything in the documentation, on the package itself, or online regarding whether it supports Soundfonts. When I called their 800 number, I was informed that there are two versions of Soundfonts — .sf1 type (SB) and something called .ecw or something (Ensoniq).

My question: Is there much support for this second Soundfont type (e.g., do companies such as Sonic Implants support them)? I don't want to bother with an installation just to discover that I'm still going to have to purchase SB Live. If y'all have any insight into this situation, I would appreciate hearing it.

BTW, it's great to finally be here as a registered member. I've been lurking and reading for some time, and I'm always impressed with the knowledge and exchanges that "fill our hallowed halls." Thanks again, folks!

Back