Engineering frustrations

Xrod

Next in my series of dumb questions.......

As a means of educating myself and learning to use my DAW and work on my recording technique, I have entered into a collaboration with a friend of mine to try to produce an album.

I am doing the engineering, and providing the music and arrangement. (I think I'm wearing too many hats on this). I own the equipment and play bass, guitar, keyboards. I'm lousy at writing lyrics!

He has great ideas and writes lyrics, but plays no instruments. Due to this, he has a hard time grasping the ideas of key center and pitch, and the organization of tempo based measures and arrangement.

A typical project goes something like this:

-He will bring a snippet of a melody that he has recorded on his cell phone, which I transfer to an audio track as a reference.
-I determine a tempo for the song and try to determine a key from something that sounds distinctly atonal to me.
-I'll record another track with piano chords, or a synth pad so that he has a tone or key reference to sing to.
-We record a vocal guide track accompanied by the piano track.
-I end up with a phrase that is most often off key or doesn't follow the chord changes, and may end up being something like nine bars in length. (4/4 time).
-By the time I end up pitch correcting the hell out of it, and chopping it up so that it's eight bars in length, the feel is lost, or least very different from the original idea.
-It takes hours and hours to make progress and complete a song with a LOT of frustration in the process.

Although I'm learning a lot, I'm rapidly reaching the point where I want to tell him to buy a cheap keyboard or guitar and learn to recognize a unison, third, fourth and fifth, and to be able to hear and feel when to change chords, like after four or eight bars for example. A rough idea of an arrangement would help a lot as well, both in terms of writing the accompaniment and being able to easily edit.

I realize this is venting, but any ideas on how to handle this?

If you like his lyrics, you will just have to do one of two things. Either get the lyrics first, and then write the music. Or adjust the song for the music. Many times when I write, during the first couple of passes, I sing with a pen in my hand making mark ups.

You may be either too hung up on not changing it or you may have too high expectation. On a new song, first 5-10 passes are really just getting the song arranged. Might be more or less depending how well you work together.

What the both of them ^^^ said! :laughings: From what you said, your friend's "melody" is barely anything. Maybe take his lyrics, develop your own chord structure, then see if he can come to a melody for what you have put together.
Otherwise, 2 choices: use him for lyrics only; find another collaborator.

When I read this post, the first thing that came to mind was Elton and Bernie. From what I have read of his lyrics, they are not that well structured for music. But Elton managed to get music behind them to make some really good songs.

If he writes good lyrics, I would figure it out.

That's a damn long way from 'doing an album.
If you enjoy it, call it a collab' to create and gather songs, along the while learning the chops to actually do them.

When I read this post, the first thing that came to mind was Elton and Bernie. From what I have read of his lyrics, they are not that well structured for music. But Elton managed to get music behind them to make some really good songs.

If he writes good lyrics, I would figure it out.

A Yeah... Not so much.

Lyrics and melody are two different things. Not sure why, if he's good with lyrics, you're necessarily giving him the melody as well, especially if he has no particular musical talent. Sounds like you're doing all the work.

I'd never work with an "ideas man" - those free spirits who toss off random shards of inspiration and expect everyone else to realise them, with no concept of how difficult that can be - too hard, you have to have some musical understanding.

Just get drunk and have fun while he's there then do the proper arrangement after he's left.
He's probably a good friend so you don't want to tell him the truth.

Thanks to all of you for the input!

You all summed up what I have been thinking. He is a friend and a great guy, but I told him that he will need to bring his song ideas to a higher level of completion if I am to write music for them. I'm not a vocal coach or a miracle worker, and my ability to operate my system has rapidly improved to the point where that is not a hinderance to the process.

Yes, an album was a lofty goal.

I signed up for an online songwriting course so perhaps I can learn to write something reasonable myself. I have encouraged him to take some vocal lessons. Maybe a professional can teach him pitch recognition. I always thought songwriting was done with an instrument, except maybe rappers who write to a rhythm, and then I guess it's a rap, not a song.

Thanks again.

Back