Editing a home recorded song

Jimsyt

Can anyone tell me how to edit a song, I see many videos on Youtube with people singing in their lounge or kitchen and then the sound has had something done to it, I cannot work out what the tricks are to get this kind of sound. What do I mean? Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhs-HTQW2Q this did not sound like this when it was recorded, what was done to it? I cannot find anything on youtube to tell me. Thanks.
Jimsyt

Can anyone tell me how to edit a song, I see many videos on Youtube with people singing in their lounge or kitchen and then the sound has had something done to it, I cannot work out what the tricks are to get this kind of sound. What do I mean? Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhs-HTQW2Q this did not sound like this when it was recorded, what was done to it? I cannot find anything on youtube to tell me. Thanks.
Jimsyt

I have only had the briefest of harkenings on a laptop of that vid' but it is quite an advanced piece of work. Either that gal is listening to a foldback speaker or, more likely, someone is playing in the room with her. Whatever, not a simple thing to achieve so well as it has been.

To MAKE such a recording in the first place you would need a decent microphone* (not a usb mic) and an Audio Interface. This takes the mic signal, boosts it and converts it to a digital signal to send to a computer, almost always via USB these days.

In the computer you have a Digital Audio Workstation, a rather silly name for a piece of software that allows the recording and subsequent manipulation of the signal. Those manipulations can include,..compression, equalization (tone control) filtering, de-essing, reverberation and many other things. BUT!!! You MUST have a decently clean sounding signal to start with! That comes down to a good mic and some knowledge, especially of how to treat a room for improved acoustics.

*Depending upon your final aim, you would not need the mic in the video, something smaller and cheaper might serve.

A very popular DAW is "Reaper" free to use so long as you can stand the nag and not expensive if you can't.
AI's start at about £80 but a really nice one is the Steinberg UR22 AT £100. Figure about the same for a microphone with boom stand and cable. You will need headphones. Sennheiser HD202 are not at all bad for £20.

Do check the stickies.

Dave.

She's miming (or to use the modern term, Lip-syncing) She's quite good, but her breathing is a giveaway - as in she often doesn't! Before a loud note, after a long phrase, there needs to be a lung refill, and many seem missing. Recorded nicely, and then the video is shot from a few angles of her singing and then edited. Recording is a combination of skill and art, and what you hear has taken a fair amount of time and experience to do. It's not really editing. Notice how she moves into and away from the mic and changes the angle. None of these things have changed the sound - which they do in real life. She also has an invisible method of stopping the usual pops and bangs plosive breath sounds produce - especially that close to the mic. The brass is nicely recorded or a good sample, as is the percussion. Polished recording skills and a pretty talented girl - especially miming to her weird pronunciation. What kit do you have already, and how good are you at recording?

I note she didn't reply to your request for info on how she did it. Dad has a recording studio is the best bet!

...and who is this Lloyd she keeps asking? :laughings:

Yes, this was obviously not recorded right there in the living room. AFA doing this yourself, I would imagine the best place to start is with a good knowledge base. Be advised it could take you several months to several years and quite an investment in time and money...and you may never have the knack for it. Having said that, you may be the next great mix tech.

So where to start? Wait for THIS CLASS TO COME UP. It was very helpful and informative.
OR, get the basics and jump in with both feet. Ask questions, work hard, experiment, share your findings.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I suppose I am not a novice, as I am in radio, but have never really mixed music before. I have good equipment at my disposal and am blessed with perfect pitch. I know the basics about EQ, echo, reverb etc, but I cannot match the quality sound of the movie I listed. Perhaps I need a few more decades of work under my belt! Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond
Jim

Back