drums

markdraper

Using Power Tracks, I can record drums onto a track -- at least I see them on the notation screen -- but I can't hear them. Do I have to have a drum machine to hear what I am recording on a MIDI channel? Somehow I thought my sound card would do this for me.

I had an ESS on my old laptop and it (like virtually all sound cards) could handle this, but I'm a bit concerned about the name "Audio drive playback"...almost sounds like it can't record! Nevertheless, it should be able to play back MIDI sounds. MIDI drums are on channel 10 if I recall. Go into the MIDI Mapper (part of Windows in the Control Panel somewhere) and see if channel 10 looks like it's routed through that card or not.

I assume you can just play normal MIDI songs, yes? Can you hear the drums on those?

the ess audio drive playback can record and has full duplex operation... i have one in my crapaq presario as well... if you dont hear any midi at all , your own sequence or not , make sure your " synthesizer balance " check box is checked in the windows audio control panel....

- eddie -

I feel very fortunate to have found this forum. Thanks for the kind help.

When I check what I take to be the Midi Mapper (Control Panel, click on Multimedia) it displays:

ESFM Synthesis (DC00)
ESS MPU-401 (400)

with a little branch off the bottom term saying "Percussion on Channel 16"

Duh. I don't understand what these terms mean, but I guess I should try putting the drums on channel 16! I'll let you know what happens after I try that and follow up on Eddie's suggestion.

Many thanks.

Back