Drum software percussion advice

dsealer

Hi to everyone. My name is Don and I'm fairly new to this forum and I'm making some upgrades to the way I record my music. In the past I've used actual musicians to record. Im still doing some of that but I'd like to learn how to program drums into my songs instead of trying to find a drummer to sit in.
I'd like to get some suggestions on what software to use and how to use it. Be aware that I'm 66 years old and some of the technology takes a while for me to "get"/ understand. So once I get the software I'll be asking lots of questions. If there's anyone who'd be willing to help me one on one that would be great.
So, first question, what's a good piece of software to get to program drums into my songs, and why? Also 66 years old = mostly R&R music.
Thanks and I eagerly await some replies,
Don.....

I'll second the motion for EZDrummer. I've been a big fan for many years. Technically, it is easy to use. If you can load a virtual instrument into your DAW program, then you can use EZdrummer. It's that simple. If you need help, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube and there are many people here who use it.

Toontrack EZdrummer 2 (download) | Sweetwater

Thanks again. Question do any of you use Reaper With Ezdrummer? I've got some issues using both.

Don.....

I posted a similar thread a few days ago in the newb section, as my previous experience was having a sound tech as part of the band that recorded everything. Now, late in life, I want to record my own stuff. Frankly, although the theory of using EZ Drummer 2 seems easy to use inside your recording software, you STILL need to understand how to use a drum kit. I don't have a clue! I tried EZ Drummer, and I could see, if I knew how to tap out a drum rhythm using the mouse and make it sound "realistic", I'd use the program. But at first glance it doesn't seem to work that way. I'm going to post another thread on EZ Drummer and see if I can get my questions answered...

EZDrummer comes with midi files that you can use. In fact there are hundreds of them right there in EZDrummer. No need to know how to play the drums.

When EZD opens, go to the browser tab and choose a library. then choose a style and select a file you like. You can drag it to the songwriter section at the bottom or straight into your DAW. It really can't ge any easier than that.

Back