Drum Loops and Drum Software -- Different?

gmiller1122

Addled but happy
I'm not new here, but it's a newbie-type question, and I wasn't sure where else to put it....

Here's what I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I buy a CD full of beats, like Drums on Demand, I still need drum loop software like Acid or Fruity Loops to arrange these loops, right?

I'm seriously considering using Drums on Demand or Betamonkey. The samples on their websites sound great.

I use nTrack. (maybe this should go in the nTrack forum? I'll move it if I don't get much response here.) Anyhow, I have been able to just copy and paste (and paste...) a few random drum loops into a track in nTrack and it SEEMS to work okay, so would software like Fruity Loops make sense for me? Is it necessary or would it just take up space on my PC?

BTW, I'm recording originals -- folk, acoustic, roots rock, cowpunk, think Jayhawks, Steve Earle, pretty straightforward drum beats...

Thanks,
G

why not just use n track that you already have ?
i use a competitor to n tracks and i just build my tracks by cutting and pasting loops the same as i'm suggesting to you.
then - if you feel you have limitations try specific loop based packages.
go google for the free hotstepper sometime.
you might find it interesing for this type of need. then export into n track.
just play with it. note...it will tune up/down samples for example.

I am thinking it would be easiest to just use nTrack, but I wondered if I'd miss out on some magical purpose behind FL, etc...

I downloaded hotstepper, but the zip file is corrupt. Thanks anyway.

Drums on Demand

FYI, I rely pretty heavily on D o D. I don't really have much choice but to use loops. You don't need any extra software other than your recording software, you just import to the tune you're working on to your recording software. I'm using Magix.
If you decide to go this route, here is what I've learned: I put down a few measures of rhythm guitar and just start importing loops till I find something with the correct timing. This can take some time at first, but it does get easier. Sometimes I may find some drums I want to use, but the timing is a bit off...rather than resampling, or stretching the drum loop, I adjust my playing to suit. I have tried others, but am really happy with D o D. I am not promoting anything, but if you want to hear some samples, my music is at the following link....the first 3 songs use Drums on Demand....nothing too fancy here, though I did use a couple different time sigs on the 3rd tune.
If I can be of any help with it, lemme know. Good luck!-J

miller...re corrupt zip file.
first ive heard. maybe something changed.
i never had a problem. what zipper/unzipper you using ? pkzip ?

Thanks for the insights. I've played with it, and like it so far.

Question: I created a drum track in nTrack using DoD. Now, how can I create a whole wav file (about 4 mins.) from the connected drum loops? I'd like to burn it to a CD, then transfer to my digital recorder (Fostex VF80). The reason is that I want to record bass, git, and vocals there -- my PC isn't set up for quality recording. Can I use a program like Goldwave to record these loops as a whole wav file?

Thanks.

Just answered my own question...

Using Goldwave, you can record a track from nTrack as a single wav file. Another cool thing about Goldwave is that you can alter the speed of recording. So, if you have a drum track from DoD that is 100 bpm, but you want it faster, you can record it using Goldwave with the speed set to 1.5 so that the wav file you create is 150 bpm.

Cool.

your last post hits on the advantage of having separate software like Fruity Loops or Acid for drum loops. Acid lets you change the tempo, or have multiple loops (one fading in, different sections with different beats, etc). When you create a whole song in Acid with all of these things set up, you can export as a .wav file and then import that into your multi-track software.

Acid used to make a light version that was something like $79, I think. The pro version is more.

Hope you find some inspriation in those loops, that's the best thing they can give you, if you ask me...

Back