Drugs and listening to music

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
In the recent thread on whether or not drug use had ever enhanced one's writing or playing, a number of people made the observation that certain things written or recorded had sounded great while stoned but lame when back to being sober. That got me to wondering whether or not that was true in general for some people.
So have you ever found music sounding better while under the influence of drugs {either your own but I mean more songs in general} ? If so, did it ever feel as powerful when you were not under the influence ? Do you think some genres sound better when one is in an 'altered state' ?

Grim works for the NSA.......he's building a database with all the questions he's been asking lately.

Grim works for the NSA.......he's building a database with all the questions he's been asking lately.

He's a HR plant used to generate posts and therefore more potential ad revenue. It's a good tactic. Ask broad general questions that require no thought, expertise, and encourage people to talk about themselves at great lengths. Everyone likes to do that. Brilliant business strategy.

Good question.

Years ago, when I was a teenager, at one of the many raves I attended like a loyal worshipper of the DJ, the DJ being Lenny Dee. When he started his set, the very first tune he played, I heard the best tune I'd ever heard. I screamed as loud as I could when the MC (Robbie Dee) introduced him. To this day, what I kind of remember hearing still sounds great in my head and the feeling I had at the time was out of this world. (This was 20 yrs ago)

Anyway, about a month later I got the cassette of that set and there at the beginning of the tape is the MC introducing the DJ and you can actually hear me scream on the tape. But what I heard in the cold light of day wasn't was I experienced that night.

I can't remember the drugs exactly from that night or the amounts but it usually consisted of a £25 bag of MDMA and 2 or 3 trips. I knew the local drug dealer well so we always had the best. ;)

The rave was Tomorrows World, Venue 44, Mansfield. 9/6/95 and you can hear me scream at 0:16 on this link. Lenny Dee - Tomorrows World

Still sound f all like I remember it. Hey ho!

What did one Deadhead say to the other Deadhead when the drugs ran out?

"This music sucks!" :eek:

I saw Pink Floyd do Dark Side of the Moon (Boston Music Hall, 1972) while tripping for the first time. Took me several weeks to come down from that remarkable experience!

Deadhead Alert--an oxymoron.

I usually go to concerts sober, although I have been known to sneak in a couple miniatures of whiskey. I don't want to miss anything because I'm in the restroom.

Out in a bar, I don't care, their music is usually bad any way.

While I don't advocate drug use for anything other than medicinal purposes, it wasn't always that way. I went through a period where I regularly listened to music in an altered state or went to gigs and got stoned. Sometimes it really took the music somewhere else. Other times it just gave me a headache.
Two happenings in particular stand out from the dim and distant past. A tune that was great to listen to stoned was "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Those 23 minutes were a trip in themselves. I used to feel myself going 'into' the music, especially during David Gilmour's first solo, as it reaches it's peak, it would feel like a great weight was pressing me into my bed and beanbag. It was such an incredible feeling. It happened a few times and I loved that sensation then I found I was listening to the song looking for something like that to happen and it wasn't any more.
I had been into the Beatles for 6 or 7 years before I ever listened to them under the yin~fluence and you'd think that a band whose music was so readily identified with drugs would be a great listen. But they weren't really, no more than other artists like Styx or Stanley Clark. But on one occasion I was listening to "Rubber Soul" and I'd not taken anything for a very long time and as I listened, in my minds eye, the music became these incredible coloured shapes. It was in the song "Think for yourself" that this really stood out because the top and the bottom of 'the music' separated and were like venn diagram wheels {in the loosest sense of the word, wheels} and they were moving in completely opposing ways. It's a song with a really strange riff anyway but it was fascinating seeing how each part of the music had it's own character and separated into top and bottom. The top was going in one direction, the bottom in another but the entire musical block remained.
If I was a cartoonist, I'd try to make an animation based on it.

I think it's safe to say that mood in general affects how you feel about anything......including (and maybe especially) music. And the power of the mood you're in......not to mention the type of mood you're in.........changes the effect. And I'll bet most of us could agree that drugs........affect mood no?

It was in my drug experimenting days that I got into the jazzier and more improvised end of things, funk, reggae, avant garde.....
I found different genres came across differently but it was really more the artist and the song than the genre. And it nearly always took me by surprise. The ability to concentrate and focus coupled with the way good ganja opens up the mind's eye did make for some interesting listening experiences for a few years.
But I really do get more out of listening now. In those days, I rarely listened to a song or album over and over. The singular one time sensation/experience of that album or song was always enough for the moment. In fact, afterwards, it never occurred to me to try and repeat the experience right away.
Whereas now, I can be listening to an album for days on end and getting all kinds of jollies from it. I've just spent about 5 days listening to "Music in a doll's house" by Family. Good album with a few classic songs on it. I'm not sure I'd want to listen to it on acid though. Much of it sounds like a bad trip, even without any smoke or chemicals coursing through my being !

The mood of the druggie will play a big part, somethings have made cymbals sound lovely (until you go deaf), some songs have made me feel like sliding down the grand canyon without pain and one time my head felt like it had twisted my neck repeatedly, all expierences 'enhanced' by music and 'stuff'.

i certainly don't think its good for making music thogh.

Put it this way, you won't see me dancing to drum and bass for 6 hours straight when I'm sober, but shove a few E's down my neck and you'll have trouble dragging me home. :laughings:

I was aqctually quite disappointed with it. I thought he'd say more than “You had that older brother that would bring pot home… and so you’d listen to [Pink Floyd’s] Dark Side Of The Moon and say, ‘Yes, now I understand life.”
He may well have said more but it's one of those cases where the headline far outweighs the substance of the article. He spoke more about flaming INXS !

I think it's safe to say that mood in general affects how you feel about anything......including (and maybe especially) music. And the power of the mood you're in......not to mention the type of mood you're in.........changes the effect. And I'll bet most of us could agree that drugs........affect mood no?

I'd agree that the power of the mood can greatly affect music listening. I'd heard John Hiatt's "Cry Love" many times, and it was a good song, and I liked it. I was listening to it while driving home to effectively end 19 years of marriage, and it had me bawling like a baby. Might have saved my marriage too. Tedeschi Trucks Band "Until You Remember" contributed too.

As a Deadhead though, I have to say more often than not, the trip spoiled the music. My favorite live music experiences have always been sober...or maybe "2 beers in" sober is a better description. :)

Back